How Small Can Xp Be

yonu

XPe is good for all kinds of scenarios. At work we are using it for making a product that can be closed up tight, always run and record video. At home I have played with it to make set top boxes, video servers and anything else. You can get the images really small. XPe has all the functionallity of XP, it is binary compatible, but YOU have to put the functionallity in. If you have an old copmuter and want to turn it into a MAME box or something then great, you can enable just USB remove mouse support, or whatever. then you can get it to boot from CD. Then when you want mama, just plop it in. Really powerful.

Yes, If you change hardware you have to rebuild the image, this was intentional. If you download and watch the videos, you will see that you run a tool that finds out what all the hardware is, and then you can create that as an "object" so if you want to change hardware, re-run the tool, create the object, then go back and rebuild the image using the new object. It isnt that bad, once you have done it once, it will make sence, and it very easy. Also remember to build objects, like,

Object1: PowerDVD

Object2: EPIA M Motherboard

Object3: MAME

Object4: Asus Pundit-R

Object5: SnapStream

etc. . . . .

Then when you want a new image, just select objects 1, 2, 3, 5 for hardware 1, and then object 1, 3, 4, 5 for hardware two. Rebuilding doesnt take too long and you are done. Also if you want to add more functionality like object6 etc, then you can go back and add it to an old image, and wala new image!

However after it installs onto the hdd, the windows installation directory does go up to around 1.9 gb. Crazy how a 130 mb image can go up to 1.9 gb....

Dont put he paging file on drive C: !

Even with a standard orginal xp cd I was able to reduce the installation of windows to 600 meg, with NLite I got about 300 mbs with full compatibilty that I need...