Windows Update Fails After Download

dman

I removed tons of malware from a clients computer (XP Home w/ SP2). AVG, spybot, ad-aware and ms spyware remover all say the system is now clean. Everything works now except automatic updates. They download, but as soon as they start to install I get error msg "updates were unable to be successfully installed", with no explanation of why. It does this with any of the updates, so the update itself is not the problem.

Any Ideas?

Hi GSM, Thanks for reply.

That's correct... download works ok, fails when it starts to install. Account is admin so no problem there. I can install them manually, but not through windows update site. I am thinking something is broken from removing all of the virus and spyware. TCP was broken, but fixed that with winsockxpfix. Internet and everything else is is working now, just the updates broken. Can't seem to find a log file with any reason for the failure.

You Can Install Them Manually, Are You Using The Beta Ms Spyware

Because It Has A Setting That Wont Allow Some Thing To Run Automatically, from a file download I think. Not Sure On That

I Stopped Using That For Now Because Every Time I Went To

Run A VBS Script I was Working On I Got The Security Warning

Than I Had To Allow It To Run.

Yeah, I am pretty sure installer is corrupted in some way.

Pretty sure no virus left, as I have run AVG, Anti-Vir, Sysclean and Mcaffee. All say clean. Also ran cwshredder, spybot and ad-aware, all clean.

Try re-installing the Scripting Engine

OK, tried that. No good.

Updates from other programs work OK. Just had media player update itself from 9 to 10 with no problem. Only Windows Update Website broken. Wish they would give a more descriptive error message. :angry:

Try and repair Windows Installer.

This might work for a batch file.

echo Unregistering MSIEXEC...
%swm% msiexec /unreg
echo Re-registering MSIEXEC...
%swm% msiexec /regserver
echo Starting Windows Installer service...
net start "Windows Installer" 2>nul 1>nul

I'm not batch file expert so that might need work.

Try and register these files too.

wuapi.dll, wups.dll, wuaueng.dll, wucltui.dll, MSXML3.dll, MSXML4.dll

Thanks Tarun. Tried re-registering files you mentioned. All are registered correctly, but still no-go. Think I give this a rest till tomorrow, maybe dream a solution... :zzz:

Thanks Tarun. Tried re-registering files you mentioned. All are registered correctly, but still no-go. Think I give this a rest till tomorrow, maybe dream a solution... :zzz:

I had a problem like this on a bad hard drive of all things. INF files would fail to register, and I never got it solved before I wiped the hd and returned it.

Have you tried using LitePC. It has an unistaller, and a reinstaller. You could uninstall the serivce (Windows Update) then reinstall. It will prompt you for the CD so that all the files can be restored. but at the same time you could use the update catalog and download all then put them all into one directory and fun the dos command to get them to all install one after another.

FOR %a IN (*.exe) DO %a /quiet /passive /norestart

That way all updates will install silently. Then after that just watch the forums for new updates, and you will only spend a couple of minutes a week.

I had the same problem ... I started some Services I had stopped (Dont remember wich ones now) and it started to work again.

Have u changed anything in the services?

If yes, I can get u my Services List so u can see whats wrong!

Cya!