Internet Scanners

sven

do these egist? iv got this log in my router that has these couple ips that are trying to connect to *my ip*:135. is there a way i could like... get these guys to stop and cut their internet service for port scanning?

sven, I don't think its a scanner... Its probably a worm that's trying to get through...

Remember the Blaster worm?? That ran an exploit on port 135 and a few thousand computers in the world probably still have it... :wacko:

W32.Blaster.C.Worm is a worm that exploits the DCOM RPC vulnerability (described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026) using TCP port 135. The worm targets only Windows 2000 and Windows XP machines. While Windows NT and Windows 2003 Server machines are vulnerable to the aforementioned exploit if it is not properly patched, the worm is not coded to replicate to those systems.

You could add a rule to your firewall or IDS system that basically drops all packet traffic from the offending IP's to your network.

Since it could be a worm trying to attack your network, perimeter antivirus scanning of some sort might be in order as well.

Log there connection attempts and attain info on the subnet. Contact the owner of that particular subnet and let them know what is going on. I would not suggest contacting them unless you have an abundent amount of logs on this connection attempt.

*STATIC-IP*:135, you can assume it is a business account, unless this person is smart and using it as a mask.

*DHCP-IP*:135, just as long as you have the port address listed and IP's, ISP's can look up logs of users whom had a specified IP assigned to them at a given time frame. All this info on the IP and company is easily obtained in the ARIN DB.

If these attacks happen frequently at the same time and same amount of times I would consider it would be some sort of worm on the net.

If attacks seem to be random it's some pathetic kid playing on the net and can get into trouble.

Both cases you can get there services suspended, if they are infected with a virus or worm that is infecting the net in some way the ISP reserves every right to suspend there services until appropriate measures are taken. But if some hyjinked kid is playing with port scanners or attempting to connect to an unauthorized remote machine repeatedly, they can get there services suspended and much worse.

hum, most of teh time its a continuous ammount from a single ip for a little while. meh, its just annoying. i forwarded the port into cyberspace so it will never touch my pcs