Uninstall 2004 Trail Verson Of Norton By Script

alime

Hello i wrote a script to install a silent NAV 9.0 on new machines on my network.

Iit works great on computers without an antivirus on them but, some have Norton Antivirus 2004 on them and i need to take them off before my script can run.

There are about 400 comptuers i need to do this to. so i want to do this script before my script can run.

any ideas

thanks,

~Aaron

Norton only recommends using Add/Remove Programs to uninstall & if there are problems then do the manual uninstall that removes MOST of the program. The link is here. You could script the changes suggested in this document though. Uninstalling Norton is notoriously troublesome in many cases.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...dSection=7&Src=

Good luck...

Norton only recommends using Add/Remove Programs to uninstall & if there are problems then do the manual uninstall that removes MOST of the program.  The link is here.  You could script the changes suggested in this document though.  Uninstalling Norton is notoriously troublesome in many cases.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...dSection=7&Src=

Good luck...

yep, i've even heard some cases where uninstalling norton causes your pc to crash

Not only that but if you uninstall as part on an upgrade you can get into hot water as well. They really only recommend Add/Remove for Norton Anti-virus 2004 but Symantec Anti-virus Corporate Editons can be completely manually uninstalled. It's very annoying. The main reason I use other AV programs now in some cases. I still stand behind the Corporate Editions.

thanks,

i wonder if i just run the removal tool it will disable it enough where i could install the Norton Corp. Then i wonder if it will them make thoses computers unusable.

grr this is very unplesent

Thanks everyone.

~Aaron

I would suggest a lot of beer & pizza while you get a few poeple to help you run from computer to computer... haha 4 or 5 people, 400 computers, if you do more than one at a time... 2 or 3 days is my guess... You'll have to install as you remove it as well to avoid having no protection... You could send out an email to your users... And have them run the Add/Remove and just do them by department... shudder...