Windows Problem

corridon

Gday,

I am running Windows XP Home Edition.

For a while now I have been receiving no Automatic Windows Updates. So I decided to go to the Microsoft site to download them manually. I found the things that I needed and clicked on the link.

It told me that "Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page. As a result this page may not display properly". I click OK because that is the only thing that I can click and then I get a page saying "Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software...". It stays like that for about a minute then changes to a page that has text reading "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page. Try refreshing the page, clearing your Internet Explorer Temporary Internet Files, closing and restarting Internet Explorer, or trying Windows Update again later." This has been coming up like this for about a year now.

I can't update DirectX either. I run the DirextX 9 installer through and it finishes downloading the 7.9Mb file then it says "A cabinet file necessary for instillation could not be trusted."

I have ordered Service Pack 2. I finally got a copy in the mail and I run through the installer. I then get system error coming up saying "The system cannot find the file specified". I click OK and then I get andother System error box saying "Installation did not complete".

I have a feeling I am missing a certain file that is needed to run these things.

Does anyone have an idea how I might be able to fix this problem?

I have contacted Microsoft but am yet to get a reply.

Boot from your XP CD and start the Install process. Select the 2nd Repair Option. That will replace all your XP system files but leave your system settings and data files you have created untouched. When that process has finished go to Windows Update and download any updates including SP2.

"Your current security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls on this page"

means the ActiveX security setting is too high in IE, Tools, Internet Options, Security:

ActiveX controls and Plug-ins:

Download signed ActiveX controls

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins

both should be enabled to use Windows Update manually.

As to SP2, try copying the SP2 exe file to the HD first.

Boot from your XP CD and start the Install process. Select the 2nd Repair Option. That will replace all your XP system files but leave your system settings and data files you have created untouched. When that process has finished go to Windows Update and download any updates including SP2.

I tried that but when I get to one part it tells me to put in my Serial code thing.

I got my manual but where the certificate of Authenticity should be there isn't anything and there is a little print syaing it's been removed and should be on my PC. But it isn't.

Is there any way for me to figure out what my CD Key is?

Insert the WinXP CD in the drive and run the SFC command in Dos.

Start > Run > Cmd > sfc/scannow

no idea about the rest of your problems

I tried that but it asks me to insert Windows Service Pack 1 disk. I don't think I have that.

I tried that but when I get to one part it tells me to put in my Serial code thing.

I got my manual but where the certificate of Authenticity should be there isn't anything and there is a little print syaing it's been removed and should be on my PC. But it isn't.

Is there any way for me to figure out what my CD Key is?

Sounds like you bought an OEM machine and they installed Windows before shipping it to you. If you still can't find the CD key information on a sticker that has been affixed to the PC, try contacting the company that sold you the PC; they may have something on file that can help you out.

Is there a numerical Windows Update error code? There should be one of those. A quick thing to check is that your time/date is right. This will make Windows Update fail. There is a number error code that identifies this problem though. Do you already have SP1 installed but don't have the cd anymore?

You could try this.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=822798

if none of those suggestions work try this:

start - run - regsvr32 /u iuctl.dll

go to c:\windows\system32 and delete iuctl.dll, iuengine.dll and iuenginenew.dll (may not be there)

go to c:\program files delete the WindowsUpdate folder. (Note you will lose your installation history on the windowsupdate web site.)

delete c:\wutemp

reboot and try again.