Bootable Cdrw

Dpuzzler55

I would like to move my slipstreamed WinXP install cdr to cdrw. I want to use DirectCD or Nero InCD to create this cd so I can easily add drivers, patches, etc without reburning a new CD. My question is: Is it possible to create a bootable CDRW that still has drap and drop ability?

My question is: Is it possible to create a bootable CDRW that still has drap and drop ability?

Short answer:

NO, but read long answer below

Long answer:

The formatting of a "regular" CD or CDRW (ISO9660 with optional extensions) as compared to the type you call "drag and drop", which proper name is "UDF" or Packet writing, is VERY different.

BartPE/WinPE (bootable part) need the first one, the "drag and drop" feature need the second.

Search with google for "bootable UDF", and "boot UDF" there are some people around who claim they succeeded in making a "mix of the two", booting a linux system, but there is no handy solution avilable at the moment.

Nero supports UDF/ISO Cd's , but they are not bootable.

jaclaz

it's rewriteable, can't you just erase and reburn the new image?

Yeah, don't what it is with rewriteables they always need to be reformatted using Nero & generally error out frequently when doing my UA images.

I ditched them in preference to a virtual machine for testing then burn to a writeable when I know its right.