Update Dotnetfx.exe With Sp1 And Hotfix

Hi All, I've spent a few days reviewing lots of your topics and searching how to get .net framework 1.1 slipstreamed with SP1 and Hotfix to include in my svcpack.inf.

RyanVM had a download of this already.

And is probably 100% A OK and easy to find, but I am a fool for doing things the hard way (I tested installing RyanVM downland along side Zilla Data Nuker, ZDN includes Ebates and Topmoxie sypware but only realised this too late) and like to learn for myself.

I found a site with the following instructions that I just had to share. It teaches how to apply .msp files to .msi, cool stuff for us who are new to it.

Before all the guru's out there who are going to tell me I never searched hard enough, and this shouldn't be posted here, I hope they realise I'm only posting this in the hope I save hours (even days [in my case]) for other newbies. So peace to you all.

Instructions

Creating am admin install for .net v1.1 SP1 and the latest ASP.NET Security patch.

Download the following filest to the C:\Temp folder

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package (dotnetfx.exe)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 (NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe)

ASP.NET Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1

Run the following commands to build the admin install.

rem extract the dotnetfx and build admin install
md C:\Temp\dotnetfx
C:\Temp\dotnetfx.exe /T:C:\Temp\dotnetfx /C
md C:\Temp\dotnetfxAdmin
msiexec /a C:\Temp\dotnetfx\netfx.msi TARGETDIR=C:\Temp\dotnetfxAdmin /qn

rem Add SP1 to the admin install (patch)
md C:\Temp\NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86
C:\Temp\NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe /xp:C:\Temp\NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86
msiexec /p C:\Temp\NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86\S867460.msp /a C:\Temp\dotnetfxAdmin\netfx.msi

rem Add ASP.NET Security to admin install
md C:\Temp\NDP1.1sp1-KB886903-X86
C:\Temp\NDP1.1sp1-KB886903-X86.exe /xp:C:\Temp\NDP1.1sp1-KB886903-X86
msiexec /p C:\Temp\NDP1.1sp1-KB886903-X86\M886903.msp /a C:\Temp\dotnetfxAdmin\netfx.msi

Note that I didn't get my SP1 and hotfix .msp file using the statement "C:\Temp\NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe /xp:C:\Temp\NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86" ..., but rather started the install and without hitting yes to continue or no to cancel, grabbed the file from the Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Temp folder. The file name was auto generated each time so your will be different.

The following cleans up the temp files.

rem cleanup
rmdir /s /q C:\Temp\dotnetfx
rmdir /s /q C:\Temp\NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86
rmdir /s /q C:\Temp\NDP1.1sp1-KB886903-X86

The admin install is created in the C:\Temp\dotnetfxAdmin folder and is about 61MB in size.

Next I created the package to install the above using self extracting executable ... to do this:

I added a batch file to the admin install and compressed it to a selfextracting executable using 7Zip (12MB).

batch file: dotnetfx.bat

@echo off
pushd "%~dp0"
msiexec /i "netfx.msi" REBOOT=REALLYSUPRESS /q
popd
[CODE]

[I]utf file: utf-8script.txt[/I]
[CODE]
;!@Install@!UTF-8!
Title="Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 with Service Pack 1"
RunProgram="dotnetfx.bat"
;!@InstallEnd@!

Create the above 2 files, place .bat in the admin install folder with the netfx.msi. Place utf-8script.txt in c:\temp, download 7Zip, and once installed grab 7za.exe and 7zS.sfx from where it was installed and put in c:\temp as well.

Commands to run in command prompt:

pushd C:\Temp\dotnetfxAdmin
7za.exe a -r "C:\Temp\dotnetfx.7z" * -m0=BCJ -m1=LZMA:d=25 -ms -mmt
popd
copy /y /b 7zS.sfx+utf-8script.txt+C:\Temp\dotnetfx.7z C:\Temp\dotnetfxAdmin.exe

If you have taken care with all the path and file placements ... C:\Temp\dotnetfxAdmin.exe output file will be created.

Simply put in your XPCD\I386\SVCPACK folder and update your svcpack.inf to include the dotnetfxAdmin.exe under the [setupHotfixesToRun] section, no switches needed.

And you will have a silent install with no EULA screen ...

Lastly there was a note about someother switches I didn't try, but you may ...

To install the .NET Framework with no entries in the Add/Remove Programs list use the following command line:

msiexec /i netfx.msi /q ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT=1 ARPNOREMOVE=1

• 3 months later...
Instructions

Creating am admin install for .net v1.1 SP1 and the latest ASP.NET Security patch.

Download the following filest to the C:\Temp folder

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package (dotnetfx.exe)

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 (NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe)

ASP.NET Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1

Could you write how add Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Language Pack for this instruction?

thnks

dziubek

I have a batch script that downloads all the files for you, and will make a rar sfx file. I don't really use it anymore, because Ryan has a pack with more updates that aren't publicly available. I do repack it though, as I'm not a big fan of the switchless installers.

I can post it, and I can modify it for 7z if anyone is interested.

There is one prob with your guide. Looks like you forgot to close one of the code tags, so the utf file and batch file are running together.

• 2 weeks later...

You're also going to be leaving behind unnecessary uninstall files (of course, to delete them you also have to remove the references to them in the MSI). Not doing so will only add to the size of the final EXE.

@sleepnmojo - Actually, I don't anymore. I was running into some issues with the unofficial fixes, so I ended up nixing them outright. If anybody else wants to attempt it, though, I can send what I've got.

Edited by RyanVM

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Silent install switches for running dot net framework

dotnetfx.exe /q:a /c: "install /q"

Or through VB:

set shell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

Shell.run "<SourceLocation>\dotnetfx.exe /q:a /c:""install /q"""