Install From Usb

winston

No I'm not looking on how to do a ua from a usb key. My ua is on cd and I want to be able to go to a usb key for the applications to install. My CD with what applications I have on it is already at 690mb and still have more apps to go. I am using wpi to pick what apps to install. :}

Sorry to disappoint you, but yes you can.

The only downside to this, is that your bios has to support it.

Interesting... you're the 1st to say that around here... Ive seen about 5 different threads asking this question and they all say you cant. Mind shedding some light how to do it or how to verify if you bios supports it?

Thanks!

Hey guys, I hate to rain on your parade but windows does not allow you to boot from a usb device. What happens is during the boot process windows re-initializes the usb devices which in turn disconnects the primary drive because it is a usb device. When this happens windows freaks out and crashes. I have tried this a few times and yes I have 2 different new boards that support booting from usb. I believe there may be some linux distributions that this may work on but as for windows, as of right now, it does not.

Just my two sense...

mow

One more comment, if you're going to try this anyway, make sure you disconnect your primary hd before trying to install to the usb drive. Odds are it will corrupt your primary when trying to load windows to the usb drive...

mow

:whistle: Ok we seem to be missing the real question here. My question is: I have an unattended install of XP on cd with as many applications that will fit on it(683mb). I have extra applications that I need to install, that are on my usb key and/or usb hard drive. My original question is is this possible and how to do it. I have tried the following code in runonceex.cmd:

@Echo Off

SET PP=%SystemDrive%\Install\

IF EXIST D:\usb.txt set usb=D;
IF EXIST E:\usb.txt set usb=E;
IF EXIST F:\usb.txt set usb=F;
IF EXIST G:\usb.txt set usb=G;
IF EXIST H:\usb.txt set usb=H;
IF EXIST I:\usb.txt set usb=I;
IF EXIST J:\usb.txt set usb=J;

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Starting Windows Post Installer" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\000 /VE /D "Windows Post installer" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\000 /V 1 /D "%SystemDrive%\Installs\wpi\wpi.cmd" /f

EXIT

This didn't seem to work the usb.txt(which is a blank text file) file is located on my usb device root.

This isnt going to work because while youre setting the 'usb' variable in your runonceex script, it wont be set in wpi. I dont use WPI, so Im not familar with how it works, but if theres something in on of the scripts which say where you want to install from (cdrom, hard drive, usb), this is what you need to change... not your runonceex. Youd be better off posting something in that section for an answer.