I want to you what you have to say about this

Primal

It seems to me, mother board chip set designers have a LONG way to go, to make computers faster, we'er just now seening board that move data faster around . I would like to hear what you think about this, and where should they take it, how fast should fast be, and why.

... how fast should fast be, and why ...

My "definition" of a fast computer would be one that could run a realtime "3D MAX" level of detail! ... I guess that would be something like 10Ghz+ with a geforce 8 or something ...

So you are absolutly right! Board / CPU /GPU desginers have a LONG way to go :)

Well IMHO everything should be point ,click and see. No waiting should be necessary.

Chipsets are built to support hardware to the CPU and until the hardware becomes faster which will give the chipset makes a reason to do things faster things will crawl at the same pace.

Hardware is starting to gain speed I believe. This is proven in the Firewire and USB 2 specs. Transferring reliable data at high speeds inside a PC and low cost is market driven for the most part, and the market just will not bear the price tag for speed at this time..

I have just read about the new serial ATA(SATA) hard drives that will be coming soon.There will be few advantages right now.The advantage will be 150mbs vs. 133mbs with parallel ATA.For Raid configurations there will be an even better use of bandwith.Another advantage is the serial cables themselves measuring .25 inches wide offering better airflow.And a serial cable can be up to 39 inches as oposed to the 18 inches limit on parallel.By the year 2007 the 150mbs bandwith will grow to 600mbs,when hardware chipsets catch up.Right now for $79,Promise's TX4 controller and Seagate's preproduction $190 120 GB Barracuda V SATA is the headliner which you will see next month.

Information taken from PC World article 31634.Article

Chip set designs are getting better all the time. It is a very exciting time. Sets that support FSB 533 and 3G transfer rates are very fast. Couple that with Dual CPU systems and even CAD intensive programs run very well. Having just built a Dual CPU system I can see first hand the difference between single CPU systems with fast chip sets. There is a very noticeable difference. I wish I had the ATA Serial drives zipp51 is talking about. Maybe Christmas? :)