Best Way To Shrink Pe Down?

ruffryda

Thanks for your answers.

One day I read in a newspaper Media Player Classic would use too much memory. Since it is by default packed with UPX I thought it would be a good test.

I just opened it, and used ProcessExplorer to see how it looked.

Left is no UPX, right is UPX.

upx.PNG.xs.jpg

It uses much more memory.

Moreover it needs 30% more time to start (tested many times to be sure cache would not impact on the results). It still starts in a few hundreds of milliseconds but it shows UPX slows down things (which is easy to understand btw but I wouldn't have thought it would impact that much).

Edited by Camarade_Tux

Ok so I'm working with 2003SP1 and PE 1.5 to use Ghost32.exe. I need networking support and scripting support as well. I have everything working perfectly. My only problem is that I am booting from a RAM disk so I want to make the image smaller. I know there is a remove files list, but that will strip my networking and possibly my scripting out of the image.

Does anyone have a list that they have put together that will reduce the size of the image but leave scripting and networking support there?

Or is there an easy way to figure out what files I don't need?

Thanks a ton.

-Brian

The list I posted is applicable for your needs; it does not impact HTA, VBS, or Java functionality. It also does not impact networking ability, unless the driver you need is one of the drivers that I have removed (in which case, simply remove that entry from my list). The scripting I use has far too many dependencies for me to trust something like NLite or similar; it sounds similar to what you encounter.

As for the other posters regarding UPX; compressing Shell32 never gave me any specific "problems" other than terrible memory usage. Other DLL's and EXE's had similar problems to what was described above me -- slow loading, terrible memory usage and occasional hiccups. The only time I now use UPX is on standalone EXE's and other DLL files that I know aren't multi-instanced.

For those who are seriously interested in file compression to save ramdisk space the real payoff for space savings isn't UPX... You need to look at NTFS file compression on an SDI ramdisk. I cram ~165mb of data into a 115mb SDI ramdisk, with ~9mb of that as free space for writeable (and compressed!) ramdisk usage for temp files and the like. I'll never go back to the stock ISO read-only method...

Edited by Albuquerque

For those who are seriously interested in file compression to save ramdisk space the real payoff for space savings isn't UPX... You need to look at NTFS file compression on an SDI ramdisk. I cram ~165mb of data into a 115mb SDI ramdisk, with ~9mb of that as free space for writeable (and compressed!) ramdisk usage for temp files and the like. I'll never go back to the stock ISO read-only method...

First I need to figure out how to create a Ramdisk then I would definately follow this method...

If you look into the microPE scripts (wich are plain text files..) you0ll find a script that will make your ISO ram bootable - but you'll have to use windows 2003 r1 or r2 as a source for your build..

Inside this script you'll find all the steps to create your own ram boot - this is valid either for winPE or any other xp/2003 boot - In fact, you can directly use batcher and the original RAM boot script to create this RAM ISO from your already made ISO file..

There's also a lot of info in the CD forums - they have quite a lot of good tips to follow..

:)

Edited by Nuno Brito