Text Messaging Idea

matrix0978

Ive had this idea for quiet a while. And i was wondering if it was actually possible.

Ok well you know how were allll over paid for text messaging with out cell phones and etc. But i was thinking of a device where you wouldnt have to pay anything.

Like walkie talkies but text messaging. From on device to the other.

is this actually possible?

yeah i new about the AOL messenger by motorola or what ever.... But that connects to the computer.

But heres the thing, walkie talkies sends signal, why can the messeges send the signal straight to the other handheld device

my idea is to build a device based on that walkie talkie device.

we connect it to the comp. and connect each other and from a walkie internet...(only prob is that we NEED atleast one person / device between two comps. as the range will be a prob)

that way the net will be free for all.... something like kazaa / torrent.

its yet an idea :( gotta think of a way to put that into reality...before some wise guy does it, patents it, and charges all ... like we have to pay for the net now. :(....

"The net should be fast, free, and accessible to all."

you could theoretically create a system by which some sort of handheld device used standard radio frequencies to talk to the computer (that wouldn't be too hard to set up as far as hardware goes) and then uses that communication to trigger calls to the cgi/php/asp pages on the "online messaging centers" for various cell providers. The tough part would be the programming involved in writing a protocol that would be able to effectivly organize the data and be able to get it to the right site with all the data intact.

If you're talking about just one device to another, you could use like a palm pilot with linux or something and either just use Ir and boost the signal or you could wire whatever network connection it had to a small radio transmitter/reciever and then do the opposite on the second device so you could effectively have a wireless network between the two. You'd still have to write the program to let them talk back and forth though.

I guess what I'm getting at is that it's possible, but in the longrun, it's way less complicated/expensive to just use a cellphone. But if you just want to do it for kicks and giggles, by all means, do try. And get a patent afterwards.

Things You Will Need

*Three medium or large paper cups

*Empty soup-type cans (optional)

*25 feet and 10 feet of heavy thread that won't stretch

*Three toothpicks

*Sewing needle with a very large eye

Do This

*Thread the needle with the 25-foot length of heavy thread.

*Carefully pierce the center of the bottom of one of the paper cups with the needle.

*Remove the needle from the thread.

*Tie a knot around a toothpick on the inside of the cup. (The toothpick may have to be broken to fit in the bottom of the cup.) This will prevent the thread from pulling out of the bottom of the cup.

*Repeat steps 1 through 4 for the other paper cup with the other end of the thread.

*To use your paper-cup telephone, two people will have to pick up the cups and carefully walk away from each other until the line is slightly stretched tight. Do not pull the thread so tight that it pulls from the cups. Do not let the thread touch any ot

*One person should place their cup directly against one ear and cover the other ear with the other hand. The second person should speak into their cup. Each person should try being the sender and receiver of the messages.

Instead of speaking into he cup you could tap or scratch (morris code). :scratchhead:

This would be a breakthrough in technology. :whistle: