Delphi Vs Vb

hi! everyone!! :) specially to the adminsitrator..

pardon me for my ignorance.... :(

just what's the difference? between delphi and VB what is the advantages of it and

disadvantages? which is more realible? and easier to program? please anyone

have an idea or experience on it? :) thanks very much in advanced...

Delphi is Borland's RAD (Rapid Application Development) Tool. It uses the Turbo Pascal language instead of Basic, but the IDE and coding style is very similar. During the 90's it was always said if you wanted to see what was in the next version of VB, look at the current version of Delphi.

IMHO, blowing them both away is Visual FoxPro. Microsoft's red-headed step child that doesn't even get a mention on MSFN. It is a common misconception that VFP is just a database. It is also the simplest and most powerful general purpose RAD tool yet developed. Too bad MS keeps trying to bury it in favor of that VB.NOT abomination. (not that Visual Studio.NET isnt a great development env in it's own way, but if you use it, do yourself a favor and learn C#, its easier than trying to unlearn the language that VB used to be)

Interesting comment, DMan.

But one slight quibble...

And I quote... "(not that Visual Studio.NET isnt a great development env in it's own way, but if you use it, do yourself a favor and learn C#, its easier than trying to unlearn the language that VB used to be) "

Unlearning which language? VS.NET compiles VB, C++ and C#...

Secondly, C# is easier to write, aye, but C++ is not limited to the .NET framework...

Every programming language has its forte and failiures. I picked C to start, because it was the one I heard about the earliest... (Although, unwittingly, I'd previously programmed in BASIC!!!) But it could have easily been VB, Delphi, Perl, C++ etc...

Just go with what feels good...

@psytechnic:

I say "unlearn" VB6 because there are just enough syntax differences between VB6 and .NET that almost nothing written in VB6 will compile on .NET. The project converter tries and fails on all but the simplest projects. Some common examples are 0 based arrays and variant data types. Not to mention all of the .net framework code that doesnt apply to vb6 and you have enough incompatibilities to warrent just switching to C#.

And yes, for heavy duty development, C++ is the obvious choice, but for RAD C# is much quicker.

Don't go with what feels good, go with what will satisfy job requirements in minimum development time (which is why I mainly use VFP)