Problem With Special Characters In User Names

Hi great MSNF Unattended community. I hope you can help me with this.

I have a Windows XP SP2 unattended CD that's working perfectly, using the RunOnceEx (from hard disk) method. I call "useraccounts.cmd" from "cmdlines.txt" to add users via REG method. I can create and add all user accounts perfectly.

However, I've been unable to create accounts that contain special characters like "ñ" or "á" with this silent method.

For example, I use the following in "useraccounts.cmd" to create an account named "Mamá" (for my mom ;) ).

net user Mamá /add
net localgroup "Power Users" Mamá /add

This, nonetheless, creates a user account mistankenly named "Mamβ", replacing the "á" with a "β". It also fails with characters such as "'é", "í", "ó", "ú" and "ñ".

The interesting thing is that I can succesfully create user accounts with these special characters using: 1. the Control Panel's "User Accounts" panel or 2. Opening a "cmd" window and typing the above code.

BUT, if I make a batch file using these commands (i.e. a cmd file, run after Windows is installed), and run it, the user account that is created contains the same error: it replaces "á" and puts in a "β".

BTW, I'm using the US english version of Windows.

Is there any way to automate the creation of accounts with such characters? I hope you could help me. Thank you very much!

Carlos

Well, i hope some of you have read this by now...any ideas?

Has this happened to anyone with a French version of Windows?

I've been wondering if the OOBEINFO.INI method could work in this case, but I'm afraid it won't work because it is based on a text file too...

Well, if anyone is implementing an account for "José" or "Gérard", tell me how you solved this problem!!

Thanks a lot.

Carlos

Wow, that's a tough one.

While I don't have experience with this, you did say that typing the command directly in a command prompt window works?

Maybe you could try calling cme.exe with the paramaters you need, i.e.:

start "Adding Mamá to Power Users" /wait net.exe localgroup "Power Users" Mamá /add

/just a thought

Thanks Nois3. I copied the line you gave me

start "Adding Mamá to Power Users" /wait net.exe localgroup "Power Users" Mamá /add

and pasted it into a "test.cmd" file, which I executed, both directly (by double-clicking) and by calling it manually from a cmd prompt. Neither method worked. The word "Mamá" was always replaced by "Mamβ"

The strange thing is, if you MANUALLY TYPE that exact line in the cmd prompt, it works... :wacko:

I haven't tested the OOBEINF.ini method yet, since I need my computer for some academic work... If someone is doing an unattended install, please give it a try: the idea is to get the account "Mamá" to be succesfully created...and get the correct spelling (not "Mamβ"...)

Thanks a lot

Carlos

Type in you config

Mamβ in

start "Adding Mamβ to Power Users" /wait net.exe localgroup "Power Users" Mamβ /add

Now check if you get Mamá account created

Something like this worked for me in my local cmd files in deleting localised names.

Different code pages are used.

I have a feeling that it's something to do with encoding - as far as I know, the command prompt doesn't handle Unicode or multibyte characters all too well, and the accented "a" above does not exist in the normal ACSII character table.

----

I just did a test using XPlode, used this:

<adduser display="Adding Mamá">
   <username>Mamá</username>
   <password>test</password>
 </adduser>

and it worked perfectly.

So it's definitely an encoding issue. (XPlode uses Unicode for everything, including command lines for running programs.)