Where is the bottleneck?

Rick

I have a laptop w/ these specs:

Presario Athlon 1700+

256 MB of DDR PC2100 origingal Ram upgraded with same type 256MB Crucial.

30GB 4200RPM HDD

256 FSB

Can't find video info...I'm thinking it is 16MB memory.

My question is this:

I keep getting a bottleneck somewhere when trying to open apps and I have to sit and wait for what seems like forever for the computer to unfreeze from a hard drive that is about to spin out of the computer. I kept getting messages that my virtual mem was low so I upped it to 1500MB and 2000MB Max. Can somebody help fill me in on what the deal is here? I have a Duron 900Mhz with less memory at work that runs faster than this thing. BTW--Completely virus free, firewalled, and no trojans.

Rick :)

Rick,

I can't imagine what it must be like having to access apps, that are continually getting larger and larger, with a 4200 rpm drive. And to add to that demise, you're probably pulling 33 UDMA on the data path from that hard drive.

Sorry Rick, but it may be time for you to get that new laptop you've always wanted. w00t

The error is between your keyboard and chair.

Smart mouth! :rolleyes: BTW--I just got this laptop two months ago! Dang!

But do laptops come with faster HDD's? I know I can't expect this thing to be as fast as my desktop.

Turning up the virtual mem has helped from what I can tell. :)

Like Primal said i would run a defrag...but try out O and O it seems to work better then diskkeeper 7 and the built in Xp one (well 4 me anyway) But be4 doing that i would runa registry cleaner try the one from JV16 Nice app!

Also make sure your Hd is tiddy remove unnessary games apps and temp files etc etc then run the defrag, if using O and O i would reccomend the "Complete/Access" sytle of Defrag..i think it will suite the situation.

Try all that and get back to us in the morning

=Dr. Drew

rick your specs are extremely to low for the HD, go to that site you told me about and shop around for a new HD. You can grab a 7200 for the laptop...as far as anything else do as others said, defrag.

Oh what OS you running?

For now if your running XP turn off all XP services "error reporting, restore, eye candy" then defrag and see if that helps

Thanks! The last thing you guys needed to tell me is to upgrade. There goes the money in my wallet! What little there is. Until that time...I will defrag a whole bunch...and one thing that made a big difference was increasing the virtual memory. I just hate to be on a computer when I know I got the memory, I got the chip speed, then a darn HDD is slowing me down!

Thanks for your help.

Rick :)