Raid Install Problem

viol8r

Using the info I've found on these forums, I've added what I thought was the neccessary data to my UA to install on a RAID setup. But I missed something.

I just added 2 new SATA drives on my ABIT IS7(ICH5R controller). Enabled SATA mode and setup the drives in RAID 0. Thought my UA was setup correctly, but was getting errors copying files, so I tried the RAID drivers on floppy disk so,

when I installed WinXP, I pressed F6 to install the drivers and did so when prompted.

Then after I selected the partition to install WinXP, it says it's going to start copying files, right away I get an error copying iaStor.sys. I hit enter a few times to retry and nothing so I hit ESC to skip, then I get another of the iaStor(.inf or .cat) files can't be copied so I skip again with the third iaStor file and get an error. After skipping those files, the rest of XP installs but I end up with a blue screen and an error(forgot what it said, it was half a page long) and it reboots continuously.

Any ideas what I did wrong?

You can't use F6 with an unattended install. If you could, this forum wouldn't be so gosh darn long. If you are using F6 with a floppy for drivers you are stuck with an attended setup. Some more info on you unattended setup would help us debug it.

Now that I'm sober, let's try this again.

I did search, but for the wrong problem I guess. :blushing: I didn't realize F6 was not an option unattended.

I used Michael Hollinger's guide to add the SATA/RIAD drivers.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=32151&st=

I've tested this UA install using MS Virtual PC before I added the SATA/RAID, and everything went fine. Everything seemed to go fine this time until the install was complete and Windows rebooted, it should have ran my RunOnceEx.cmd, but instead I got a blue screen with an error.

Don't remember what it said for sure, there was some windows error, could be a virus, blah, blah, I remember three hex addresses at the end of it.

After that, I decided to try the F6 for the heck of it. Which I know now won't work.

I'll burn another DVD and give it a try again. I'll record the error this time.

Updated

OK, this time I double checked my TXTSETUP.OEM(which I did not edit) and TXTSETUP.SIF files, everything looks right.

I have my TXTSETUP.SIF in my Root\I386 directory with the TXTSETUP.OEM and RAID/SATA drivers located in Root\$OEM$\$1\drivers\002_raid.

Tried to install but received the following errors:

"File txtsetup.oem caused an unexpected error(18) at line 1747 in d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c

press any key to continue"

Then I get "Section Files.SCSI.iaStor of the INF file is invalid"

After I hit Enter, I get:

"File caused an unexpected error(0) at line 2166 in d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c

press any key to continue"

Then it starts to copy windows files. Which I ended up cancelling.

If nobody has any ideas, I'll probably try the driverpacks next.

I did it the old fashion way with my original XP CD just to rule a few things out and Xp installed fine. So I'm not going to give up, probably work with the BTS Driverpacks for now.

One thing I did notice after I installed Xp on my RAID drive, my HD IDE drives C and D are still the same drive letter, DVD drives are E and F and my new RAID drive with Xp is drive G, I haven't checked yet, but I'm sure there's a way to make my G drive look like the C drive, correct?

I'll give this a try once my install works;

How to change a drive letter
To change an existing drive letter on a drive, on a partition, or on a volume, follow these steps: 1. Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.  
3. Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and then click Disk Management in the left pane.
4. Right-click the drive, the partition, the logical drive, or the volume that you want to assign a drive letter to, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
5. Click Change.
6. Click Assign the following drive letter if it is not already selected, click the drive letter that you want to use, and then click OK.  
7. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the drive letter change.
The drive letter of the drive, the partition, or the volume that you specified is changed, and the new drive letter appears in the appropriate drive, partition, or volume in the Disk Management tool.

From http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...;307844&sd=tech

We got a bit off topic, but I finally got it to work.

As I said previously, when I installed from my original XP CD to my new RAID drive, the bootable drive ended up being 'G', with my IDE drives still 'C' and 'D'.

Now that I got my UA DVD working, it lists the RAID drive as 'C' and my old IDE drives as 'D' and 'E'. So I won't need to change them anyway.