Windows Xp Rme – Where’s The Beef?

prathapml

This article just meant for the info of those who'd like to read it...

old news - 12th feb.

Windows XP RME – Where’s the beef?

Posted by Gsurface on 12 Feb 2005 - 14:00 

The Whole Ensalada

What do you get when you strip Windows Media Player from Windows XP? Windows XP Reduced Media Edition. After EU courts ordered Microsoft to remove Windows Media Player from their Windows Operating System, Microsoft fired back by branding the “new” OS with what they believe it now is: a Reduced version of Windows XP. Following the naming of the new OS, the EU filed that Microsoft rename the product. Microsoft is said to have changed the name of the new stripped down OS. A few names which Microsoft may be using could include: Windows XP Shi**tee Edition, Windows XP No Media Player Here Edition, Windows XP The EU Sucks Edition, and Windows XP Buy XP Pro Instead of This Since They Are Both Worth The Same Price Edition.

As was stated here a few days back, there is no huge difference between Windows XP Professional and the Reduced Media Edition. There is no way anyone can look at the mere desktop and deduce that they are using the Reduced Media Edition. Microsoft has bundled Service Pack 2, which includes the Windows Security Center. Again, exploring the control panel, we see the usual suspects including Windows Firewall and a few others. The only indication that a user is using Windows XP RME is during the welcome screen after the OS is installed. The welcome screen clearly reads: “This reduced media version of Windows XP includes standard Windows functionality, with the exception of certain Windows multimedia technologies.” Also, peeping into the system properties, the system is labeled, Reduced Media Edition and clearly states that the system is at the Service Pack 2 level.

So what exactly is missing?

SOURCE - read more

well its a good thing ms listed removed files

now we can check if we're doing the media player removal correct with nlite:D

in addition:

i think this issue is so stupid. why? because most ppl who don't know much about computers don't really know where to get browsers etc. while trying to find it they run into many bogus files.

also for example when xp came out i very much liked that idea that i don't have to dl any other software to be able to do anything. it comes fully loaded. which i think is good for most ppl.

say xp came without ie & wmp & moviemaker & calculator & etc.

u'd have to dl all that stuff.

also why isn't there a case on the calculator that comes with xp? its forcing me to use it, omg i want to use other calculators. aa dumb!

point is xp doesn't reject any other software like firefox/opera/winamp, i'd say if it rejected those apps then a case would be opened.

now many newbie's will not be able to play any music files unless they're instructed to dl winamp/media player/etc by someone who knows the existence of them.

another issue: many of the companies like dell,toshiba, etc load their windows recovery cd's with lots and lots of apps that u don't want. what about those? they should be removed as well since it limits us!! my laptop came with windvd, hell i don't want that, newbie's with dvd readers will be fine with it(okay don't get me wrong ppl might like windvd i don't, don't take it as flaming)

well so as i'm thinking, there should be 2 version of windows,

1. a minimum component windows for who are not lazy, who know where to get files, who likes to install & who doesn't want ms products

say for $100

2. newbie edition, full components installed. say for $200

Edited by XtremeMaC

well spoken words XtremeMaC, still alot of people whom have a datalimit for downloading or having dailup connection here in my country.... and yes part of that EU.

Ok there are better alternatives then microsoft put into their windows... sow what, it's upto the user to use it or not.

I say screw the EU and let someone just deliver their piece of software how they want, or are it the illigal users of windows whom are complaining that wmp is inside xp? :P

just my 2 cents