Can't Build Home Network

skyworld

hi,

i hope to build a home network, but it doesn't work. I have two desktops,each installed win2000 with sp4. In desktop1, two net card are installed. one connected to ADSL, the other connects to the second desktop. there is only one net card installed in the second PC. an interesting thing is that when i connect these two PCs, i found the link LED lights, but i can't access the other computer. i checks its property, it shows that there are packets sent, but with 0 packets received. the same property happed to the second computer. I am sure the twisted line connecting these PCs is ok and all PCs has been set to correct IP address, such as 192.168.1.10/sub 255.255.255.0 or 192.168.1.11/sub 255.255.255.0.

well, i then build up a wireless network without AP, i.e. Ad hoc. the indicator shows that the network is ok, but i found it is still only sent packets but without any packet received.

Can anybody help me to find the answer? how can i build my home net? thanks very much.

regards

skyworld

Hai, no solution from here :( ,

Just wan't to let you know that you don't strugle alone.

I've got a same sort of problem connecting my Win2000 laptop to my home network.

And i'm also still waiting for ans answer.

So good luck for the two of us

:hello:

well, the crossover cable is ok. i have tested it . Besides, wireless ad hoc can't work also. there is also sent packet with zero received data. there is no 'cable' for wireless.

i am sure there is no firewall installed. I have tested the first PC with a laptop which i took from office and the network is ok, but if i change the laptop to the second PC, the network stopped.

well, i also suspect if there is something wrong with the second PC. I have checked the event log of the second PC and found some words on oakley, 3DES and so on. I don't know what is it, but it seems some kind of "firewall" works. I don't know what it is.

I also suspect if there is virus. I have formated the HD and re-installed win2000, but the network doesn't work.

is it possible that there is any hardware wrong so that the network doesn't work? i am sure the NIC is ok, i don't know which part of hardware wrong will make network stop.

struggling...

After you configure each PC with it's own unique IP address can you ping between the two machines? If not, try a ping test using the IP addresses of the other machine when conducting the test. See if you get a reply.

Do you have a default gateway installed on only the NIC that is connected to the ADSL connection?

Check this website out for good tips and tricks. http://www.chicagotech.net

since thhey wont link via router try a pice of crossovercable bbetween them to see if they will talk if not then something is worng with one of the computers also you say you are useing crossover cable that should be path cable in most cases if you are using a swithc

Hi Tquy,

i can't ping the other computer, i can ping the computer itself. i have checked with www.chicagotech.net, it says this is caused by hardware,such as NIC. but i am sure the NIC is ok and the same thing happened to wireless NIC with USB interface. Do u have any other idea?

I had a kinda same problem,(1 less net card though,so i had to give access to a second pc through a net card and have access through a usb adsl modem,not router!!!) but here is how i solved it.In order to connect the 2 desktops u need to enable ics.Goes along with the build in firewall i think but enable it anyway.Then if u have another firewall application running just turn off firewall from security center and tick the "i have a firewall solution that i monitor myself" button.Enable the dns,dhcp service.When in the network connections folder ctrl+select the 2 network cards right click and bidge them.For the second pc use gateway the 1st pc's internal ip.

That would be something like

1st pc: 192.168.0.1

mask 255.255.255.0

dns:given form your isp

2nd pc:

ip:192.168.0.2

msk 255.255.255.0

gw: 192.168.0.1

dns:the same as the 1st pc's settings goes here

Share something and use netbios to see if it works.

dont forget to allow any access in the local network through your firewall solution.If necessary add trusted ips manually.

Worked for me so it must work for u 2 !!! i hope i helped a bit :)

Hi Giwrgos,

thanks for your help. but i didn't install any firewall in the computer and since i am in windows 2000 not windows XP, so i don't think i have ICS. or it have but i don't know where it is. can you help me to find this ics in windows 2000? thanks.

i cant remember right know where ics is in win2k since there are not any win2k machines near me.Try using the hep file of windows

Press F1 and make a query for internet connection sharing or share connection there should be some helpfull results.XP and win2k are different but are not that different,and win2k definitely support connection sharing.

check this out too

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics_2000

i think it might help a bit :)

I had problems doing this a while back!

I setup the first PC and then used the disk to transfer the settings from the first and it seemed to work!! Even though I'd used exact same settings!! The disk from the network wizard I mean!!

Other things to try though are to make sure you are on the correct workgroup (same on both), subnet same etc.

It is frustrating when you do it correct and it won't work!

remove it completely and start again

Networkin AD-HOC the SSIDs(name of the network it wants to join) must be the same, the channel numbers must be the same and the adapters must be configured to work in AD-HOC mode.

With the wired one have u made sure that the NICs are working find buy using the loopback address? 127.0.0.1.

Oh and you must make sure that the Classes of IPs are the same, Subnets are the same and the workgroup name is the same like MSHOME, WORKGROUP etc, could even be SKYWORLD.

can't think of anything else atm if i think of anything else i'll post.

thanks

Dan