Internet Explorer 7.0

Martin Zugec

totoymola, to remove IE in XP, use nLite. You cannot disintegrate, but you can remove all files from your install. I don't have a trace of IE on my XP Home SP2 nLited.

graysky, currently nLite can remove nearly 150 individual components. I keep four of them. My Dell OEM XP Home SP1 w/ SP2 integrated via nLite results in a 571 MB source. nLite reduces that by 471 MBs, resulting in 100.48 MBs, excluding integrated Drivers. Two of the components happen to be IE and the IE Core. These components have been upgraded twice in nLite because of other files being discovered to be associated with IE. Enough info? Visit nLite forum. Cheers.

Soulin, whose flaming? :hello:

It is not that Firefox or Opera are more secure than IE. Well, they are, but there are more factors. 99% of the malicious things online these days (with IE still dominating 89% of the market share) are coded specifically to attack some vulnerability in IE. Once Firefox and Opera become more popular, than 0.50% or 1% or whatever percent of the malicious code will be directed at those. However, hopefully by the time that happens, Firefox and Opera will already be steps ahead in the matter of security.

Cheers,

Jeremy

2Jeremy: As far as I know U cant remove every trace of IE, because of rendering engine... Only way is imho creating windows xp embedded image :(

There was no flames yet :) I am just big fan of IE/Maxthon and I wanted to discuss this theme without meeting post like "Firefox is best, IE sucks!" and similar

Well, security in IE wasnt strong enough, which was significantly changed by XP SP2...

Firefox is best, IE sucks!

:)

Seriously, as long as MS does make sure that this time their internet browser is secure, I'm all for a new version. I don't use IE anymore, except for Windows Update, but it'd be nice to know that the whole engine is much more secure, since a lot of stuff uses it.

Another way to get rid of a lot of MS-bloat in XP is to use XPLite http://www.litepc.com/, also uninstalls IE. nLite is the right thing when you decide to reinstall the whole OS, XPlite is for an already set up OS.

well i've tried firefox/netscape/opera/ie/etc.

amongs those i somewhat have to return to IE at some times, since most ppl write their codes for IE it doesn't correctly run on others, though the others might be more compliant with the standards.....

i'm using opera 99% of the time, i like it a lot.

the MS issue, i think ppl should give opinions on how to make the software better, if u complain about it to much switch to other os's or get used to it. in win98 my comp crashed about every hour, i knew what to do about it, how to deal with it, same goes for me/xp/w2k/w2k3....

learn to deal with it, just like u deal with the problems in your life...

in corp environment security might be a very big issue, though i cannot really understand why its such a big issue with home users. everyone says windows has bugs, sec holes, point me one that u've came accross.hold on there is a catch, windows is not supposed to be your everything, that's why there are external programs, firewalls, anti spyware's, anti-virus stuff etc.

i'm sure u're all going to say blaster worm & other worms, i never got any of those, my system's secure, i update it often. i get the latest stuff.

my opinion on the open source programs is that since they're open sourced it should be quite easy to spot the glitch, so if linux/unix/etc was to be widely used like windows and if windows was the one that was not popular i'm sure those who use windows would try their hard to get into linux comps and those who use linux would find ways to hack eachothers computers or release trojans/viruses/worms....

ppl hate windows & microsoft bc its full of money and ppl are somewhat jealous of it imho.

u're in a math class everyone works their a** of to get A's but max they get is B and this new guy comes in and gets straight A's, u're jealous and there is more to it, which i cannot really express.

computer is a competitive environment things like this will always happen. think of it as a website "A" that gets 1000000hits a day compared to that of "B"'s 100hits. if guys at that B are so jealous and can't think of good ways to get in front on A what often ppl do is they attack and try to slow down their server, then ad's appear everywhere, company A sucks it experiences slow downs, we've 99.999% uptime, we're better etc.... what r u going to do about it? its competition, legal or not it is....

so report bugs, send emails to ms on how to do something better, if else make your own program/os/etc.