Open Office

sportster00

It is an excellent FREE substitute for MS Office. Not too buggy etc.. I would not go so far as to say it is exactly the same as MS Office since there would be some copyright issues if it where. They have had to name some of the functionality and menu selections differently which can be confusing. The biggest difference is how the HELP file search works. I think its terrible but what do I know. And yes it will run rather slow on an underpowered underRAMed system and a Win98 box may crash from time to time if you use up all the resources. This resource issue is a problem with Win98 not Openoffice but to work around it turn as many running processes off as you can before starting any big (lengthy) projects with it. And do save data frequently.

OpenOffice.org can read various versions of the MS Office documents. You also can save your documents to various MS Office formats. However, not everything available with OpenOffice.org Writer can be transferred to MS Word, and not everything can be imported.

It is also able to read/read other file formats such as StarWriter.

• 1 month later...