External Drive And Usb 2.0 Problem.

I have a new external 80 gig hd with a usb 2.0 connection.I have used it on 2 other computers so far that have usb 2.0 ports.One a laptop the other I installed a pci 2.0 card.I have had no problems thus far till today.

I tried to use it on another computer in my house (I use the thing as a large portable fileing cabinet both at home and at work) that I had installed a SiS 2 port pci usb 2.0 card.

Every time I plugged it in I got the error"this device can work faster with a usb 2.0 hub....and to choose the hub from the list" so when I go to the list it doesnt even show my new SiS card but my old 1.0 hubs.

I know the SiS card is there and working because of Device Manager information about the card.

Am I doing something work or am I missing a step?

Thanks Brad

I am sure but the other part of you question might apply.

I have a USB 2.0 Creative Labs Zen that works great when I plug it into the Sis card.

Soooo it must have something to do with the external drive. Right?

I am asking here because i really dont know what to look for with this problem.

My exteranal drive is an Argosy case with 2 media card readers the the device manager sees but the Hitachi drive I put inside of it my computer doesnt see.

Here is one possibility that could make my original question moot.

I might of got the 12v power cord mixed up with another power cord at another location where there was several devices being used.

I know its 12v but I am thinking the watts are different.

The power cord isnt label either way.

I will try to confirm that I get the right sord and try again in a day or 2.

Thanks

I know its 12v but I am thinking the watts are different.

The power cord isnt label either way.

Or the poles could be diferent too... So you think you have blown up some hardware? Also, when the power supply doest give enough watts it could indeed kill your device too, meaning dropping voltage and getting higher amps :}.