No Dynamic Ip

dimegrind

I can only get a network conection through a static ip and no a dynamic ip. I have an onboard land as well as netgear nic card and neither take a dynamic ip. Not only that but every so often I lose my network connection. My computer is the only one on the network that will lose the connection as well.

What is the deal with that?

If indeed you are getting network services when you configure a static (try pinging some other boxes) then the problem is with your dhcp server. A restart of the DHCP service should be sufficient, if it's not and it doesn't report any errors check the servers cabling.

I have no other network to plug into.

This is a small office network, so it is no different then a home network, DHCP comes from the router and all the other computers on the network receive an ip addy.

I have reset the router many many many times in the last six months, and since the other computer do receive a dynamic ip I dont think the router is to blame. I think my prob is a hardware issue on my machine.

Any ideas.

Check your services ( Start -> run -> 'services.msc')

Is the DHCP Client Service running?

That's the only other thing I can think of. BTW is the network connection 'flawless' when a static is configured, ie can you do file transfers etc. without error?

Set to automatic

Bledd I already have 2 nic a netgear, which is the one im using and a on board lan which gives me the same probs.

With the static Spidy I can access everything I need, but every so often I lose connection to the network (my computer only) for no reason.

Set to automatic

Bledd I already have 2 nic a netgear, which is the one im using and a on board lan which gives me the same probs.

With the static Spidy I can access everything I need, but every so often I lose connection to the network (my computer only) for no reason.

Try to remove the PCI one and see what happens ..

• 3 weeks later...

Still nothing.

I switched ports, I have uninstalled both nics and reinstalled one at a time and test each solo.

It doesn't seem to be the router and I cant see it being the cable (as far as dchp is concerned) because I can get there (router) with a static ip.

Is there any chance it would be my mobo? I dont think dhcp has anything to do with my mobo though.