Worst PC Problem For Me Ever

Jeremy

I have a new FireWire card which is detected by both PCs. Neither the External HD or the Digital Video Camera get detected on either machine. HOW can both deviced just not show up??? How do I fix this?

I read through this entire thread and this post jumps out at me.......Here you state that you tried your appliances on "both" machines - meaning 2 different computers and - nothing? Yet you still adamantly refuse to believe the problem is with them? I also see after you dismantled your external hard drive you got it to work......and you still think there is nothing wrong with your camera?

I have been repairing computers for 15 years and I have NEVER had 2 computers that I am working on, have the identical problem with recognizing anything...like you seem to think is happening here.

I think your answer is already staring you in the face and you don't want to believe it......I'd be sending in the camera for repairs.....

Thanks, Bart. I was trying to avoiid the brutal truth for a while but I come to terms with it. Where would I send a DVC in for repairs? I don't think the warrenty is still valid for it.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy, Here's a patch from Microsoft. Funny how they say there is no problem with 1394a or 1394b, then post this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222

After you update your computer to Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), the performance of your 1394a or 1394b FireWire devices may be greatly decreased. A digital camera that uses S400 speed is an example of such a device.

Since this involves messing with the registry, I'd back it up first.

Here's a link to a DV forum that will show you the main thread about the Firewire issues:Firewire (Follow the thread to the end.)

Hope you get it working. The only thing for me was to go back (format & Install XP/SP-1

Treeman

Thanks, Treeman, but that didn't fix it for me. I have stated several times that I think you don't quite understand my problem. I think you're assuming I just can't capture with my DVC. Well, when I plug my DVC into my FireWire Port, normally I would get the New Hardware Wizard to pop up indicating that Windows has received a signal from my DVC and is ready to installl the Drivers necessary for it to function properly. Well, I do not get that New Hardware Wizard. The equivalent siutation would be if I were to plug my FireWire cable into a loaf of bread; nothing happens.

Thanks for all your help, Treeman.

Jeremy, Try booting XP with the camera set to deliver data, it worked for someone else in the DV thread.

Treeman

Didn't work for me. Guess I'll be looking for repair shops tomorrow.

Thanks, everyone!

Cheers,

Jeremy

PS: Uploading, editing, encoding and burning DV is my favorite hobby!

Jeremy how about giving me the specific camera make & model number along with the same for your pci card.

Remember me telling you I gave away the external Maxtor drive to a friend, well it too worked out of the case. It's was SBP-2 port driver that was giving me trouble. Here is the MS KB & hotfix: Microsoft It's too late now since I gave the drive away. Maxtor took 4 months to post this hotfix. Notice the change to "Ohci1394.sys"

The same may be true for your camera. Yes I realize you don't get that satisfying pop-up when you plug your camera in. I still believe it all comes down to the fact that MS changed the generic FW drivers with the WHQL signed drivers that has dorked things up. If not, why all the "hotfixes?"

So where is the weakest link here? Is it your external drive & camera that worked with Sp-1 and not SP2?

Me thinks it was overdone on the security side by MS. You see 1394 can be used as a networking protocol, so we must assimilate it and protect it at your cost.

Don't give up hope, just keep trying until you do get that satisfying doink and your camera is finally recognised.

Treeman

Treeman, I PMed you. Take it to PMs from now on, shall we? Or...?

Camera - Panasonic PV-DV953 Mini-DV Camcorder.

The FireWire is a 3-Port Card. The characters on the front on the top right hand corner of it are:

PN603-5-26

0206-5XC

On the back there is a little sticker on the top left corner with the characters:

C201103831

I also see "FireNet" all over the box it came in and on the CD with it (Which only contains a PDF file, no useful files).

Picture

• 1 month later...

I've noticed when applying some reg tweaks for folder views and tool bar settings on XP SP2 my firewire drive(s)/partition(s) also dissappeared. Fortunately, my external devices have USB and 1394.

Merely connecting the device through USB, then disconnecting it (safley through the disconnect SysTray Icon), and reconnecting the 1394 makes the drives reappear.

My config used to use a Ratoc PCIFu1w Firewire card (6 and 4 pin ports), Audigy 2 Zs Platinum Firewire, and the firewire on my board (Asus A7n8v-e deluxe: nvidia). These days however, I just use the Audigy port. Anyway...

To apply the folder view and toolbar correctly I needed to have my entire hdd as the systemdrive and not have any other drives connected. The hard part was completely removing the references to my DVD device; powertoys didn't work, but was used anyway.

Specifically, don't apply reg tweaks with:

{01E04581-4EEE-11D0-BFE9-00AA005B4383}

{0E5CBF21-D15F-11D0-8301-00AA005B4383}

{1E796980-9CC5-11D1-A83F-00C04FC99D61}

{710EB7A1-45ED-11D0-924A-0020AFC7AC4D}

ITBarLayout

Hope this helps.