Replace notepad.exe

That's interesting, but it might cause problems since notepad2 has entries in the register. So replacing all "notepad" will replace also notepad2 instances. Im really a n00b at this, but if it makes sence what im saying it will not work :/

How about if i replace the NOTEPAD.EX_ in i386 as suggested, how exactly do i extract and do this?

One more thing:

I don't have any instance of notepad2 in my registry. I think you might have played around already with this notepad2-thing! That's why I suggest to replace all instances of notepad with metapad (or whatever) when you've just installed windows!

Anyway, the reason I use this method is because I have a more flexible CD this way. For example if I use this CD at a friends house, then that person may not want to have this metapad! "Metapad.. was that? :huh:" ;)

I use a program called Metapad, which is just one single file. I renamed it notepad.exe and compressed it to notepad.ex_. Using XPCREATE, it gets merged into the i386 during the process.

I get the following error in setuperr.log:

Error:

Setup detected that the system file named [c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe] is not signed properly

by Microsoft. This file could not be restored to the correct Microsoft version.

Use the SFC utility to verify the integrity of the file.

However, when the OS is reloaded and the final reboot is done, I have a suitable replacement for notepad. No problems, and no WFP trying to restore it back to the original notepad.