DVD done got choppy on me!

DJ_VuDuu

I'm running Win XP, with a Radeon 8500 le, and Sony DVD drive, it was running fine for a while, now it done went and got all choppy on me, messed around with all the settings in PowerDVD, messed with the video card, defragged my hd, cleaned my cache, everything but a fresh XP install, should I try that? :)

tried upgrading your dvd firmware? if that makes no difference try another movie player, BSplayer is **** good, FREE, loads of skins for it too.. its like the winamp of movie players, and has AC3 codec handling built in.

has nice features such as creating custom aspect ratios, hotkeys, can display subtitles from a txt file etc.

Also try older (or newer) vid drivers.

how much RAM have you got? and is Windows managing your page file size, or did you set it yourself?

try increase it... max size about 1.45 times the size of your total physical ram.

eg, 512mb x 1.45 = 742.4mb max

set minimum to same size as your ram.

lastly... your dvd drive might be dying?

Not sure how to upgrade the DVD Firmware, is it messy? :) As for the drivers, I've the got the newest, I thought that might help, no such luck, and ram, I've got 850 mb, and how would I change my page file size? And my DVD shouldn't be dying, I bought it not even 6 months ago, maybe around June or July, but just barely out of warranty. For now I'll download the other player, PowerDVD is getting annoying too. Thanks man.

-Ian

• 7 months later...

Try going into operating system recovery. I've had problems like you. What I did was restore my operating system to an earlier date. That seemed to do the trick. Furthermore, I checked cables, changed cables but all seemed to be in order. Do you have another drive to check?? If so, try that first.

Later. :)

One thing to check is whether the DVD movie installed PC Friendly DVD software. Now they have changed the name to Interactual DVD player. It's another DVD decodeer SW that lots of others have trouble with. Power DVD will tend to skip or stutter during playback if the other DVD SW is installed...