Semi-Unattended & Customised Install

OK this is my "problem". I have 2 machines with identical hardware but differing purposes. I have a good unattended install DVD now (thanks to this place) but want it tweaked slightly to install the machines slightly differently (and don't want 2 DVDs!)

Machine "ONE" I have extra software on that isn't on "TWO". Machine ONE is called ONE on the Network and TWO (well U can guess).

Can I have them automatically set up as ONE and TWO on the network?

If so is there a way I can identify ONE and then choose to silently install all the extras it has?

Hope I made myself clear and some guru can help :(

I'm using the NullSoft Scriptable Install System (NSIS). I'm not quite finished yet but I have three machines I want to setup and I want to specify computer name, login name, IP address and specific apps for each machine.

It's not completely automated. You have to select which configuration you want to use the first time after install but it's not bad.

When I'm back home I'll post some of the scripts I've used to setup the various aspects.

The useful thing with NSIS is that you can include the same section in different configurations.

The script language is a little more complex than batch but is more powerful. If you are familar with VBScript or other scripting languages then NSIS's script should be easy to pick up.

I looked at WPI but didn't like the syntax. That's just my choice. Plenty of the guys here use WPI happily. I suggest you look at both.

As I said I'll post some details of the NSIS scripts and other scripts (such as setting up computer and network details) later on.

Thanks.. I hope I didnt annoy anyone by not looking further than nLite.. it does so much of what I want but there is always just that little bit more to do....

Now if I can just find how to selectively install some of the Nero packages... It needs a proper installer!!!

I think WPI *looks* a non-starter as I would far rather select the partition/format, select the machine role (ONE or TWO) and then walk away and find it sorted 30mins later... I don't wanna have to interact other than at the start!

Ive use 1 cd for 2 pcs and a seperate vmware install...

I followed this method to create my multiboot images which each use seperate winnt.sif files.

Then I use this code to run a common-runonceex, and then run the runonceex specific to the PC, based on the hostname set from winnt.sif:

cmdow @ /HID
@ECHO OFF

call "..\Custom\ROE\ROE-Common.cmd"

If %computername%==DUREXBOX GOTO DUREX
If %computername%==SHUTTLEBOX GOTO SHUTTLE
If %computername%==VMBOX GOTO VM

:DUREX
call "..\Custom\System\RenameDrives.cmd"
call "..\Custom\ROE\ROE-durexbox.cmd"
GOTO END

:SHUTTLE
call "..\Custom\ROE\ROE-shuttlebox.cmd"
GOTO END

:VM
call "..\Custom\ROE\ROE-vmbox.cmd"
GOTO END

:END
EXIT

I then use MagicISO to create my multiboot ISO.

Theres a couple of other options not mentioned yet.

1. Prepare two floppy disks containing a WINNT.SIF file with the Computername set to ONE or TWO. Your unattended CD will install XP with the computername taken from the floppy, and your application install batches can check %ComputerName% to see if it should be installed on this PC or not.

2. Make an Install.bat or modify autoexec.bat on a Win98 boot floppy that asks for the hostname and runs winnt.exe from cdrom with a UDF file to set the hostname (and network settings if necessary).

3. If you dont like the idea of using floppies, you could use the MAC address to set the computername and applications to be installed. There was a thread about this a while ago.

wpi can be configured to install automatically after x amount of time.

so it is like runonceEx.cmd or batch. except you hv to option to override

or select or deselect what u dont like.

if you are looking for nero. Here is the link use it often.

Thanks for the help but I have used Search LOADS here... I would not be asking if I had found it now would I ???? :rolleyes:

Nero Selective Nero Customised Nero Custom

None tell me how to only install PARTS of Nero... now if you have a helpful response on that I would be grateful but the one you gave was about as helpful as a chocolate tampax! ;)