Remove Administrative Tools from All Programs

Within my XPCD i have a tweek to put the Administrative Tools menu on the start menu. This is good. But it also puts it on the All Programs menu.

Is there a reg tweek to only put it on the Start Menu, or a tweek to remove it from the All Programs menu?

just delete the folder created in the all programs menu after running the tweak. with something like "del c:\documents and settings\all users\start menu\programs\administrative tools\*.* /q/s"

The problem with this I noticed is that it also removes the shortcuts from Admin Tools in the Control Panel... anyone know how to either prevent this from happening or copy the shortcuts back into the control panel section??

just delete the folder created in the all programs menu after running the tweak. with something like "del c:\documents and settings\all users\start menu\programs\administrative tools\*.* /q/s"

ml20, i've tryed this by using the following-

RD /S /Q "%allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools"

....this only deletes the shortcuts in the Admin Tools folder, not the folder itself, but as durex (not your real name i hope :o ) said, it also removes the shortcuts from Admin Tools in the Control Panel.

I have also tryed moving it to the System Tools folder with this-

MOVE /y "%allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools" "%allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools"

....which does indeed move the folder Administrative Tools and all its content to the System Tools folder..BUT leaves a empty Administrative Tools folder behind :no: . I have then tryed to delete this folder in the Cleanup.cmd but it wont delete :wacko:

All this is run via a Cleanup.cmd file i copy to the Startup folder during istallation so it runs AFTER the start menu icons are in place. The last command in the batch file is to delete itself....but is doesnt??

these are the only issues i have left in my XPcd........

Found this reg key, download attached file

This is how it looked on first boot. I will try deleted the entries for Admin Tools. these could be whats stopping it being deleted, so deleting the reg then the folder would release the folder for deletion......

I think one entry is for the Start Menu and the other for All Programs??

There's no way to delete the Administrative Tools folder, because it's protected by Windows :realmad: I guess the best way would be to hide the Administrative Tools folder from your start menu. I use this command also to hide the Startup folder.

ATTRIB -S +H "%UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools"

Yep Tsunami your proable right :angry:. I've been trying everything i can think of today, including using Regshot to record the registray when i move it manualy. Then converting it into a registray entry and incorpreating it into my XPcd. But No, it didnt work.

There must be away to do it before first boot, but im afraid thats way beyond my level of tecnicial ability. Maybe someone out there can look into this?? But for now hidding it will have to do :(

That folder is a virtual folder - none of the (non-existent) folder hiding will work. :P

Its just a cascaded display of what you see from the Control Panel.

Look into the registry tweaks thread here for the tweak to set/remove it. Or configure it to how you want, and export these keys:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
Start_AdminToolsRoot: 0x00000000

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
StartMenuAdminTools: 0x00000001

And using regshot is what showed up the above. It can save you a lot of head-ache and forum posts. :lol:

Hey Code-

Ive already looked into what you want to do and havent had any luck either. I just accepted defeat and realized theres 1 thing Ill have to manually do.

I really would, however, love to find out how I can move the admin tools folder in the start menu, but not effect the admin tools in the control panel... theres got to be a way to do this.

Ok.. I think Ive found the best way to do want we want to do here...

Follow these steps:

1. In youre regtweaks.reg include the following line:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"StartMenuAdminTools"=dword:00000001

This will turn enable the Admin Tools folder in the Start Menu

2. In your cleanup.cmd, include the following code:

MD "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Utilities\Administrative Tools

COPY /Y "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools" "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Utilities\Administrative Tools"

REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v StartMenuAdminTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

In this example 'Utilities' is the subfolder that I want Admin Tools to be in, instead. As you can see, I create the new Admin Tools folder, copy the original Admin Tools shorcuts into it and then remove the original Admin Tools from the Start menu with the Reg Tweak.

This way you can have and alternate Start Menu Admin Tools folder and still have all the shortcuts in the control panel admin tools...

Better than nothin I guess!

You migh consider adding 2 ligne to your cleanup.cmd so all user can benefit this

REG LOAD "HKLM\User" c:\Doc And Setting\Default User\NTUSER.DAT
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v StartMenuAdminTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
REG ADD "HKLM\User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v StartMenuAdminTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
REG UNLOAD "HKLM\User"

That way, default user will have it, and the current user too

:)