Anyone got the new PS2 Slimline?

sonu27

Oh and as for the "faster" bit... I think I've noticed it being a bit faster loading DOA2:Hardcore... mmm.... get me to Ayane faster!!! :P

Do you think it is so much faster that it could persuade current PS2 owners into getting the slimline? Allos, thanks to the infrared port, being able to use the remote without having to plug in a thing to the controller slot is a big plus (yeah, I have the oldest US PS2 model [7 days after initial release :thumbup ])

BTW: I like Kasumi

I don't think that the "increased" speed alone is worth the money to get a completely new system. If you can do as I did, and sell your old one for a decent price to compensate for the new one, then sure, go for it.

The original PS2 model had a built in IR reciever after the first year of release I think... I had it on my old clunker... it was right between the power and the eject buttons (you couldn't see it though).

And Kasumi is nice... and Helena...

(Best costume ever in that game is Zack, costume 3 :P)

I've heard nothing but bad things about those slimline PS2's, the first and possibly the most worrying from quite a few friends of mine is that it has been known to scratch discs. The second one, which is real, and worries me quite a bit is the fact theres no fan in there, not a good thought for hardcore gamers... :}

As for PS2, and Xbox?

Gamecube :lol:

Xbox mini is not probable, because xbox is in fact computer... So U need space for HDD and DVD Rom...

Ok.. so what your saying is a ps2 isnt a computer? Yeah an xbox is pc components but it doesnt mean they can't make a smaller version. They can easily go the same route as the new slim POS2 with the DVD flip top thingy. They can also put in a slimmer hard drive. It is possible, but not worth the effort. PS2 sucks, who would waste their money buying a hard drive for it. Xbox is twice as powerful in all aspects, has a hard drive built in, can be hacked. It has a great homebrew software selection, and in many non ps2 fanboys' eyes, much better games; in fact, most games that are for ps2 and xbox, the xbox's version is much better. For example, Burnout 3 runs much faster on the xbox and the traffic can be seen much farther away than in the ps2 version. A small difference yet much easier for you to play the game when you can see traffic a mile up the road, instead of 200 feet ahead of you, especially when travelling at 200MPH in the game.

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased the slimline and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. I was formerly an avid sony basher and own both the cube and xbox but got tired of the tiny selection of titles for both of those systems and decided to finally give in and buy the PS2. I had no idea it was redesigned until yesterday and had played my brother-in-laws original PS2 many times.

On paper my xbox may have better specs but in the real world this PS2 smokes it visually. I also like the fact that I don't have to add an addition to my house to park it's tiny frame into and hopefully Microsoft will rethink it's architecture for it's next console. It's very quiet and other than the light I can't even tell it's on. We played San Andreas for 4 hours straight and when we removed the disk it was barely even warm. My xbox nearly melts down Halo after 4 hours so I think the fan is not an issue on the PS2.

Can't wait to see the PS3 now. Not even tracking the next Xbox due to the miniscule title selection and I think it's future at my house is destined for Ebay.

I've heard nothing but bad things about those slimline PS2's, the first and possibly the most worrying from quite a few friends of mine is that it has been known to scratch discs. The second one, which is real, and worries me quite a bit is the fact theres no fan in there, not a good thought for hardcore gamers...  :}

This is not the case, I play soo much!

Most of the time it was 7-9 hours straight.

No disks scrached, and I don't think Sony is dumb to not put a fan in a console.

The fan starts off slow then speeds up when the ps2 get hot.