I need link to LAN together

imaginar

Hi guys, here is my problem, I have 2 networks with its own T1 connection, router, firewall and dchp server, I need link both network togethers to be able to share files keeping its own T1 connections, router, firewall and dhcp server separate. as shown below. Any suggestions? Is ok if I have to add some other devices in order to link them, I just need to know how.

Thanks a lot in advance.

net.gif

Hmmmm, interesting question. More info would be needed to give you a solution. are both systems in the same building and relativly close to the other? If that is the case you have a few differnt choices. One thing to consider is a second indepently configured network card in a machine on the 2 networks, connecting them to each other. That would give each side access to the other side, like I said for a better solution more information is needed. Is there one pc on each or a number of units, if there are multiple machines do they all need sharing?

A good place to go for info like this would be http://www.dslreports.com/

I don't wan is the proper term, wan refers to a external network, wide aera network. ie the net.

lan is what he is talking about and how to connect 2 lans together. It depends on the distance between the 2, if it's close enough a aecond network card in each would allow the 2 sides to connect.

I know its possible and fairly easily done. I dont know enough about your setup to advise you about the best way to achieve it. DSL Reports has a forum about various types of networks and building them, some of the best networking people around are mods there. check there.

Yes, ALL the equitment in the graphic above are in the same room, but the computers in each network are spread among different buildings in the same complex. I need both network talking with each other like if they are in the same network, but keeping them separate at the same time. Thanks for the advice, I'll check the other forum to seek more help, but help in this forum is highlly appreciate.

:-)

Ahhhh I get ya now. Theres a good chance someone at DSL reports will know. The cisco bigwigs and novel guys hang out there along with tons of other network designers and troubleshooters. Go to there forums and search for network info and help. There forums are so big you could spend a week in there if you just surfed.... Only thing I dont like about that site. It's absolutly a giant. Worse than tryong to find something at MS :w00t: Great people there though.

*slap* LoLo

There are people here who can easily answer this question.

You need a bridge.  You can set up a PC to bridge the two or you could buy a hardware bridge. 

Good Luck.

Dev Team? of what? The internet tough guys? whewwww I'm soooo impressed. Not!

Why are there so many flamers and troublemakers here? I am new here. I try to help, but I get *slap*' s and flames for my efforts. confused?

Dev Team..... don't you think you could have perhaps made a comment without the trying to irritate/offend/provoke someone?

If I did do something wrong, perhaps the way to handle it would be a PM to let the person know they were wrong. Or you shouldnt do "whatever"

Uasually when I encounter this sort of thing it's because the members are young immature/inexperienced people. I'd like to think this isn't the case here......

I've been here what 3 days and been called all kinds of things. Not a good image to project when you are trying to promote/develope new software or get a start in a new career.

I would think the site mods/admins would be a little more watchfull

Bridges (sometimes called "Transparent bridges") work at OSI model Layer 2. This means they don't know anything about protocols, but just forward data depending on the destination address in the data packet. This address is not the IP address, but the MAC (Media Access Control) address that is unique to each network adapter card.

With a Bridge, all your computers are in the same network subnet, so you don't have to worry about not being able to communicate between computers or share an Internet connection. DHCP servers will work fine across Bridges, or if you assign your own IP addresses, you'll use the same first 3 "octets" of the IP address (Example: 192.168.0.X).

However, the only data that is allowed to cross the bridge is data that is being sent to a valid address on the other side of the bridge. No valid address, no data across the bridge. Bridges don't require programming. They learn the addresses of the computers connected to them by listening to the data flowing through them.

Bridges are very useful for joining networks made of different media types together into larger networks, and keeping network segments free of data that doesn't belong in a particular segment.

*slap* LoLo

There are people here who can easily answer this question.

You need a bridge.  You can set up a PC to bridge the two or you could buy a hardware bridge. 

Good Luck.

Alright. I like the idea, I don't mind buying a hardware bridge, money is not a problem, what i need to know is how to do it either way. Someone able to explaing how to make the bridge work and how to configure it.

Other suggestions are also welcome.

Thanks

The easiest way would be to use a Windows XP Pro workstation with two NICs. One connected to the first network and one connected the the second network. Don't worry about DHCP etc -

1. Select both Icons in Network Connections (probably Local Area Connection and Local Area Connection (2))

2. Right Click and select Bridge these Connections

3. Wait! Can take a few minutes..

4. You'll get a new Network Connecion called 'Bridged...'

5. Assign a Static IP Address to the TCP/IP properties of the bridged connection using either IP range - this speeds up the boot time of the workstation.

et voila! This workstation wll then act as a network bridge.

Personally - I would not use this computer for anything else, so you can remove the monitor and keyboard and position it somewhere where it won't get interfered with ;)

hope this helps..

Here is a short tutorial with images - http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharin...tworkbridge.htm