XP Guru's - Challenge ?

LarryLaser

I have been a computer user since the mid 70's, Tried most OS's and lots of hardware. I am a big MS. fan, find it the most versitle and sometimes the most challenging.

Lately I have been working on a career change from construction engineering to computer science. I help many in my community with their computers and operating systems, I also volenteer at a local school to teach basic computer science, including teaching Teachers how to integrate Technology into the Classroom. (nuff of the yada yada...)

My challenge:

I have a teacher running a Gateway 1.6 GHz© 256 MHz Windows XP Home SP2.

For some reason Times New Roman (ttf) only, (alphabet) is not visable on her machine. In the font viewer on her machine the alphabet is not visable,numbers, special characters and copyright info all show up (and this is only true in the times.ttf file). All other files view correctly. It is the proper size (399 Kb), have checked for maulware - none. I can copy the file to disk and view on a different machine and it views fine, have compared to my sys (win xp pro sp2) and found a diff in (hex) lines Difference 17709h 19B0h 17709h 19B0h and Difference 169E0h 7CEh 169E0h 7CEh.

Does anybody have a clue as to the cause of the problem and cure. Could there be a registry setting that is hiding the alphabet on this font file??

There probably is a registry setting that has been corrupted, im currently looking for it... still, have you tried re-installing the times new roman font?

[EDIT]

Found at least one reference to 'Times New Roman'

Check in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Font Mapping\

make sure there are the following entries

[NAME] [TYPE] [DATA]

CG Times REG_SZ CG Times(W1)

CG Times (W1) REG_SZ Times New Roman

CGTimes_Scale REG_SZ CG Times

there are more, check on another machine without this problem..

There is also this MSKB article on font reg entries...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;102960

Hey mattofak

Yep I have tried. Does not overwright, (have duplicate font files in the fonts folder). When I try to remove the old I get "Access Denied".

Haven't figured out how to remove without removing Sys Attrib and turning off "WFP". Talked to MS ts, they said if I turned off "WFP" I would violate the EULA, and not get support again. If it were my computer I wouldn't care, but It is not Mine.

@firefoxthebomb, windows doesnt have a 'dos' mode...

also, i should have realised this before, Times New Roman is a msoft core font... thus, the only way to re-install it is to actually replace the reg keys as first suggestion... srry

anyways, the only diff i could find after comparing two reg files, before, after a new font install are here:

Try replacing or making the following keys:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts]

"Times New Roman (TrueType)"="TIMES.TTF"
"Times New Roman Bold (TrueType)"="TIMESBD.TTF"
"Times New Roman Bold Italic (TrueType)"="TIMESBI.TTF"
"Times New Roman Italic (TrueType)"="TIMESI.TTF"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontMapper]

"TIMES NEW ROMAN"=dword:00004000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes]

"Times"="Times New Roman"
"Times New Roman CE,238"="Times New Roman,238"
"Times New Roman CYR,204"="Times New Roman,204"
"Times New Roman Greek,161"="Times New Roman,161"
"Times New Roman TUR,162"="Times New Roman,162"
"Tms Rmn"="MS Serif"

this may help, however, does this problem only occur when choosing a font, can the system still display times new roman... like in a webpage...

also, does times new roman show up in the font control panel applet?

have you tried finding times new roman in other applications, for instance not just word, but notepad or something...

You may also have to replace the windows common controls ocx (or is it a dll, cant remember...), for it might be a problem with that, still try those reg keys and then get back to us...

Simple solution- wipe the slate clean and start all over again. In other words do a whole re-install of the system. Sounds extreme? well it'll just take you an hour or so to do just that. It'll take you more than that to diagnose the problem and fix it, if even you can fix it at all. Why rack your brain over registry entries and what have you, when you can be be complete and done if you re-install everything on a fresh slate. Save all the important documents, Re-install and move everything back in. Simple!!! ;)

I remember a friend trying to fix a friends buggy windows, he spent more than 5 hours trying, in the end it was of no avail. He ended up re-installing everything. Now had he listened to me in the begining he would have saved himself 5 whole hours!!! :thumbup

Try this first..

Check the registry for these settings.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts]

"Times New Roman (TrueType)"="TIMES.TTF"

"Times New Roman Bold (TrueType)"="TIMESBD.TTF"

"Times New Roman Bold Italic (TrueType)"="TIMESBI.TTF"

"Times New Roman Italic (TrueType)"="TIMESI.TTF"

if that disn't work...

get a windows boot disk and use dos to delete the font file. and then copy over a new one from a disk. if that doesn't solve it then its a registry problem, in that case you should use a registry scaning program to scan the registry for errors.

if any of them are inccorect run the reg file attached to correct.

*I am running Windows XP SP1* this may or maynot be correct for SP2, my guess is that they will be the same settigns for both SP1 and SP2.