Install order when installing by category

I can't seem to find anyone else asking this question, so I guess I'll raise it. Is there a way to install by category, but then specify the order in which things are installed still? I would like to be able to have all my 'Multimedia and Codecs' installed, but only in a specific order so the proper file associations are used (the last installed being the one that takes precedence). Can I just use the order number in addition to installing by category, or does it force it into installing alphabetically? I know I can make it go the way I want it by numbering the apps in the program title, but I'd like to do it the "right" way if one does exist.

Read the WPI homepage before asking.

the function already exists. i believe it is call ordr

install order: order by definition in config, if not set same order position is possible. if 2 progs have the same order position, they'll be sorted by name

That's not what I meant.....

I know about ordr (and yes, that's what it's called). This is a topic not talked about previously, or documented anywhere, so please stop and read it this time. What I want to know is if I am Installing by Category and I want to specify the order within that Category.

I don't think there's a supported way at the moment. At least I couldn't find one.

But I think it coulde be done like this. Untested, use at your own risk.

Open generate.js and change

debug("Sort",1);
if (installByCategory) programs.sort(SortByCat);
else programs.sort(SortByOrdr);

into

debug("Sort",1);
programs.sort(SortByOrdr);
if (installByCategory) programs.sort(SortByCat);

What this does is sort the list by Order and than resort that list by Category (if you chose By Category in the options). But in theory the order within the categories would stay as if it was still sorted by Order, so you can use the order numbers to specify the installation order within a category.

Thanks guys, this is exactly what I was wondering. Hasi, I've been thinking about this, and since you are already creating several RunOnceEx screens, would it hurt to reuse the ORDR numbers? If you have one screen that has ORDR numbers 1-15, then have another screen created, wouldn't those same ORDR numbers become available again? Would it be an option in a future version to remove the disabling of ORDR when installing by Category?

DeTard. How many apps do you install with WPI ? Would it hurt to number them with the ordr property to have the install exactly as you want it ? This way you'd have no problem.

FYI: ordr is not disabled, when installing by category. there's two options for me: to sort the programs either by ordr OR by category. One option excludes the other. Sorting is always done by exactly 1 property.

Hasi, right now I'm not doing enough installs to warrant you doing a massive re-write, but it might be something to consider in the future. I'm only doing about 30-35 at the moment, and I expect that number to keep rising. The request is more of an aesthetic thing.