the damn winamp crash

prathapml

How can this bug which crashes winamp be fixed?

(steps to re-produce the crash)

1. Log in as a non-privileged user (normal user)

2. Run winamp (it doesn't matter if it is in classic/modern skin)

3. It clouds over, with the window decorations changing to winxp style.

4. AND THEN A CRASH (exits).

Running it as a powerUser/Administrators doesn't show up that bug. Due to the above problem, winamp is next to useless, if you want to make it default player for non-Administrators.

Background:

I have been having this crash right since the days of winamp5 alphas, still happens even with <v5.08>. Winamp2/3 are perfectly fine, with no crashes. I'm getting really bugged-up with this crash problem. I've tested this bug on WinXP, on my PC and on others as well, with the same crash resulting everytime. Others who also have this problem, please post here, so that we can have a wider sampling of test environment.

Possible cause:

http://www.winamp.com/player/version_history.php

Version 5.0:

- added XP Manifest.xml to winamp.exe

I see that now the manifest has been embedded into the EXE itself. Could this have something to do with the winamp being forcibly being XP-skinned, and so crashing?

Please post with your findings.... this bug is very annoying.

It crashes regardless of what skin is on at that time. It doesn't stay up, actually. When winamp is run, after some time it stops responding, clouds over with XP-style look, and exits. This happens regardless of whether some song/video is playing or not, and regardless of which skin is chosen.

try using the dos command "runas" and run Winamp under the administrator account. If it doesn't crash then its a User Privledges problem.. if it crashes its probably a misconfiguration in the Current User part of the registry.