Centrino speed control utility ?

Giwrgos

As far as i can tell The centrino auto clocks the cpu according to what is required...its smart like that.

I belive that you can set the CPU in the bios to be a set speed....but im not aware of a software controlable version for within windows

|Drew|

You don't need any extra programs to do this... just look at the Windows Power Schemes.

Always On = Full power all the time

Max Battery = As little speed as possible

Portable/Laptop = Average useage

Just set the timings for the screen, hard drive, and standby/hibernation as you want them and you're good to go. Put the icon in the system tray and then single click it to select the power scheme as you want it.

You don't need any extra programs to do this... just look at the Windows Power Schemes.

Always On = Full power all the time

Max Battery = As little speed as possible

Portable/Laptop = Average useage

Just set the timings for the screen, hard drive, and standby/hibernation as you want them and you're good to go. ...

Zxian you didnt catch the point of my question but Drewdatrip did.I am reffering to when it does nothing the system properties show a merely 591MHz but when you open a ie browser or another lite program it pops up to 1600MHz and stays there for a while,and it isnt needed.I want to be able to write in word or browse net at 591,i dont need speed or anything,but when i go play some game i want to unleash its full power.

Thank you both guys for your quick responses.If i find anything in the future about this, i'll post it here and share it with you.

Merry Christmas and a happy new Year 2005 :thumbup

For me (I've got the Pentium-M 1.4GHz), when I've got my power options set to max battery, the CPU speed never goes above 600MHz, regardless of what I'm doing. I even tried renderring fractals, which uses 100% of the CPU power, but when I was in Max Battery mode my processor speed never went above 600MHz.

You do have almost complete control over the processor speed when you set the power options to what you want.

Also... I've never had a situation where my processor speed instantly goes up to full speed when there's a short load (like browsing, loading a small program). As for Word, it's not really a small program, so it's understandable that the system will momentarily speed up the processor to load the program and then drop it down again when it's done. For notepad, it'll just pop open with no delay. If you set the power scheme to Max Battery, the system should try to stay at it's lowest speed (250MHz) as much as possible.

What make of laptop is yours? Some manufacturers have better power control utilities (like IBM laptops), while others unfortuantely provide none.

@Zxian: It seems to work,it keeps the cpu @591 but i wonder if i want to play warhammer for example,will it go up to 1.6? The one thing i dont like though in this is that i cant let it for more than a minute idle,it goes to save battery close monitor and it will go in standby in 2 minutes!!! (what happens if there is a download that needs 3 minutes to finish?

anyway

@lvlolvlo: Nice proggy,seems to do what i want to.I post this just before i install it.If you see no more posts,then happy new year and i'll end up with another notebook :(

in addition i'll try and install motherboard monitor 5370,just to have a check on it.

Have a nice day 2 u all :)