Professional sign gone

KamWest

I upgraded from XP home to XP professional.

After the upgrade I swear I had the black screen which said windowsXP professional. Before it said Windows XP Home.

Now it does not mention home or professional.

You know the screen... The black one at boot up with the green or blue animation.

I know it's a pointless stupid issue but I'm just wondering how to fix this.

• 2 weeks later...

Like I said, not a big deal but I'm just curious as to why that would happen after SP2? Does it just erase an image file?

If not, why would Microsoft find it necessary to delete the professional or home designation on boot up?

Geez, such curiosity. You must be one of those people who _FREAK OUT_ if someone asks you if they can go on your PC for 5 minutes, LOL. It will be ooookaaayyyy....

Just playing around, no offense intended.

I personally like it to be just "Windows XP", as the only difference between Home and Pro anyway is registy settings. One guy once told me he made Home into Pro by editing the registry.

Cheers,

Jeremy

On this page:

Q: Why was the boot screen changed in SP2? I mean the Pro and Home tags removed?

A: This may be to avoid having to update these screens with new copyright and date information

Which sounds extremely lazy on their part… And then again on another Q&A session (here):
Q: [Jason] : what was the reason for the boot screen change ?

A: This was done to make the software build process easier for Microsoft, but you can still easily get the Home/Pro version by typing control-alt-delete and looking at the dialog box.

It's not just me who thinks this is kinda lazy, right? :lol: I would say the "real" reason was perhaps to make it harder for people to exploit machines due to the version of Windows XP they're running. Then again, this is totally stupid because there is hardly any (real) difference between installations of the different versions. Plus, there are probably hundreds of exploits for any version anyway. In other words, there really wasn't much reason to change them. :rolleyes:

i think its because of all those people who 'know' everything about computers, and if they see you are using a computer and it starts up saying XP Home, they insist your an id*** for using the home edition as its useless (Even tho all this person uses the computer for is word processing and occasional hardcore spider solitare, and they haven't even heard of the internet!)

Although probably not, i'm sticking to it for my reason :P