sp2 and networking

dezzmo

Has anyone come across problems with networking after installing sp2? It appears to have happened twice to me. A reformat solved the situation in the first case and I am about to see if that will fix the curent problem.

I am referring to small home networks, not those run by a server with domains.

Computers on the home network block others out but let others in with no obvious differences in the setup. I have had two computers that have reversed the situation on each other.

First one computer my main desktop computer blocked out my laptop but let all others on my network, xp or 2k's and then after I reformated that computer the laptop could get in. This computer had sp 2 at 1st but was rolled back - it needed the reformat to clear up the blocked access to all computers -well to the laptop.

I installed sp2 on the laptop and it has blocked out my desktop computer, but lets the others have access - i have rolled back sp2 - and still blocks it out. I am now thinking of reformatting the laptop which belongs to my work btw to see if it clears the problem.

As an side on the laptop since sp2 it has contiuously locked out my usual login at home, but works fine on the domain at work.

SP2 installs one by default. (Windows Firewall) I'm not sure if you realized that or not, so if you have, sorry. If not, Start | Control Panel | Windows Firewall should cure your problems.

Thanks for that - all firewalls were already removed/turned off!

Could you explain what exactly you mean by "blocked access?" Are you unable to access shared files and folders? Are you unable to see the computer when browsing the network? Are you unable to communicate with the computer at all (even a ping via IP address is un-returned)?

What could be hapening isthe limit of 10 TCP connections available f or SP2

HAve you tried installing the lvllord patch?

Check your event log and see if you are gettin a system event 4206 (I think) and if so.. thats the problem

Also

Try pingin all the boxs on your home domain. I doubt thats the issue though

Make sure all boxes are on the same IP and subnet range, and that everyone is part of the same group

Make surethat all of your computers have sign in WITH passwords and there are no blank passwords

If you are on a domain, make sure that you give all computers access to each other. If you are in a workgroup, then you may need to go into the SP2 machines and manually add the other computer names as acceptable.

There is probably a quicker way to do this, but I am not sure LOL

Just my two bobs worth, I simply connect both computers through the network crossover cable or router & use the inbuilt XP network setup wizard & find I don't need to create the floppy & both machines connect like a charm. Just need to share the various drives etc. No disabling firewalls in SP2 either.