Weird XP Pro problem

mannyo

Well, This is a long shot. At work we are currently replacing our antique Win95/NT4 pc's with superduper pc's running Windows XP Pro corporate.

For now they need to integrate into our NT4 domain structure, here's the problem. Logon script processing is non existent on the new XP PC's . It may of happened since XP SP1 but am not sure, what I am looking for is a resolution of some kind especially if someone has seen this before.

Thanks

Manny

edit. just to add they run ok under NT and 95/98

let me get this right... what your after is for windows XP to run scripts when people log on, or off on the machines,

eg: clear cookies and internet history recently used documents etc ?

im not sure how to do that on xp, but ill have a poke around if thats what you mean, its possible on win 2K so it should be on XP

Thanks for replying fthr jack.

In user manager for domains on NT4 you have the option to set each user that logs on to execute a batch file after the logon is complete, in out case we use this to update the installed virus software ,audit the pc's software and setup/deny access to the internet through our corporate firewall.

The option in user manager is just below the user profiles box.

With win95/98 you get a little dos box that says "please wait while your logon script executes", with nt4 you get a cmd prompt running but with XP nothing happens. I know because the pc's dont audit etc.

I tried searching using technet plus that we have at work, but since they changed the layout in september it seems harder to find anything than before.

Thanks again.

yeah its what we have on the network, does same thing, also clears internet history and changes homepage back to what it should be when people log out, it works on win2k.... i cant figure out how on XP pro.. never needed to but ill keep trying. let me know if you figure it out first.

failing doing it "properly" you could maybe (i havent tried this yet) edit a file in windows to run the batch file on login/startup... maybe just add it to the regsitry at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/windows/Current version/run

??? - not ideal but beter than nothing

There are Logon/Logoff scripts in XP.

Run -> GPEDIT.MSC -> User Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Scripts (Logon/Logoff)

I don't think Microsoft would have released XP WITHOUT Logon/Logoff scripts. :)

The files for Logon/Logoff get save in:

\WINDOWS\System32\GroupPolicy\User\Scripts\Logon

and

\WINDOWS\System32\GroupPolicy\User\Scripts\Logoff

I have done a little experimenting with a test win2k server active directory environment and the logon script processes correctly it seems from the netlogon share. I will have a play when I get to the office tomorrow. Someone elsewhere suggested giving the everyone group full control of the c: drive. I will try anything for now.

I was half asleep in class when this came up, so I can't remember the details. If I remember correctly, user accounts/scripts can only be run from the admin level. Admin installs the script for each user and grants permission at the same time.

And now a word from our sponsor:

- How to Assign a Logon Script to a Profile for a Local User:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q315245

This article describes how to assign a logon script to a profile for a local user's account on a Windows XP-based workstation or on a Windows-based server. This logon script runs when the local user logs on locally to the computer but does not run...

- A Logon Script Does Not Work If %0 or %0\..\ Calls Multiple Commands

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q318689

Logon scripts that run in Windows XP may not work if %0 or %0\..\ is used in the script. The specific error message that appears depends on the command that follows %0 or %0\..\. A typical error message is "File not found." If the batch file calls a ...

OK,

Just to let you know I have had success, I am not sure why but now it works.

All I did was insert a pause at the start of the script, wait for replication to do its stuff and hey presto it ran, so I took the pause out waited again, and it still ran only now the script is exactly the same as it was when it didnt worl :)

hehe...yea somtimes things just work out like that....

Just recently i couldent get a network to run at all, the router would net recive the Wan settings from the ip, nor could a few computers even loacte or pint the router, yet some could..i did everything i could think of..used new Network cards, hours of setting changinf settings, flashing bioses, reading manuelas how tos etc etc......One day i decided to unplug all the Cat 5 cables and power plugs from the router, i shut down the comps, them let it sit for a bit, pluged everything back in started up computers..and BAM everything worked....strangest thing ever! and to this day i have no clue why unpluging EVERTHING(i unpluged the power numerious time) Power and Cat cables made it work....

:)

=Drew