Winrar Alternative is there one?

Astalavista

A majority of us here us Winrar SFX.

But Winrar has a major flaw in my opinion is that it can only extract to a single path.

Is there any compression software that can handle multiple paths.

Example if i have

file001.XXX <- extract to c:\download

File002.xxx <- extract to c:\temp

File003.XXX <- extract to c:\ images

In a single Self Extracting file. :unsure:

Guys Check this out... http://www.powerarchiver.com/screenshots/

Winrar can extract to any path you type in "Path to Extract" :

C:\Temp should be %Temp%

C:\Images - > %Systemdrive%\Images

..and so on , you can use full paths also .

Under SFX Options - Modes , if you check the "Unpack to temp folder" it extracts to Temp by default but also deletes extracted files in Temp after you close the application

which is usefull for batch files or standalone appz .

Latest Powerarchiver has similar SFX feature but uses CAB files instead , but not 100% silent , the extract progress shows on screen with larger sfx files .

Is there any compression software that can handle multiple paths.
If there is, I haven't heard of it. Almost every good compression util I know can only extract to a single path (winrar, 7zip, winzip, pkzip, stuffit, power-archiver.....).

I was recently told of this utility - Paquet Builder - Create powerful Self-Extracting distributions. But other than that, I think your best bet is to resort to install-makers. Something like Inno-setup, WinInstall-LE (for MSI packages), AI-setup (MSI).

file001.XXX <- extract to c:\download

File002.xxx <- extract to c:\temp

File003.XXX <- extract to c:\ images

If Winrar can't , no one else can , try this :

you can try a chain extract , first exe calls the second one after extract :

Ex: Download.exe must have the path %Temp%\Temp.exe under "Run after extracting"

Same for the Temp.exe , calls Images.exe , so %Temp%\Images.exe .

The last one could clean the Temp folder so put 'cmd /c del /f /q %Temp%\*.*' to run after extract .

Compress all 3 in a main .exe file ,this one calls the first file (Download.exe) so:

Run After Extract : Download.exe

Path : %Temp%

Uncheck the "Unpack to temp folder" option

Hope its clear enough ..

Simply store the folders and files in the SFX archive.

Using your examples, set WinRAR to extract to %systemdrive%, then store the following folders and files in the archive:

Download

file001.XXX

Temp

File002.xxx

Images

File003.XXX

Create the folders, copy the filles to them, then add them to a WinRAR archive.

Make a batch file to copy the 3 files to their respective folders, rar up the 3 files + the batch file to extract in temp mode. Run the batch after extraction.

For me this is the easiest way. This is what I always do. But, Power-Archiver has the feature of multiple extract location.

If it stores full path, won't it become absolute?

Will system variables still be usable?

AFAIK prathapml, you should still be able to use system variables. To the best of my knowledge WinRAR (or any other archive program) stores a full relative path. I don't believe there is ever an instance where drive letter is stored in the archive as well. (If anyone knows otherwise, please correct me.) So, if you want to have a bunch of files extracted to various locations on your system drive, you can set the archive to extract itself to %systemdrive% and archive all the files inside with their respective full paths relative to the root of the system drive. One drawback I can see to this is that user-specific variables can not be used. (You can't, for example, have the files in the archive extracted to your %userprofile% directory, because the folder structure within the archive is already set.) Since with a uA CD you will also be the one responsible for creating the user account, and will therefore know its name, this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I hope this makes sense, because as I'm trying to read over it, I find that I'm only confusing myself. Just let me know if it needs further clarification, and I'll try again once I've gotten some sleep.

You have 2 choices. You can use store with full path or store full path with drive letter. First choice is the option to use. If I want to add WinRAR.exe and Internet Explorer.exe into the archive. Choose store with full path. Compress it into a self-extracter and set the extract destination to the root of the harddrive. When you extract, everything goes back to their destinations. This archive would contain Program Files folder with Internet Explorer folder and Internet Explorer.exe inside, also WinRAR folder with WinRAR.exe inside it.

With this, WinRAR can act similar to a simple installer.

The setting is in Files Tab -> File paths drop down box.

I have tested this and seems to work with system variables.

;The comment below contains SFX script commands

Path=.\%systemdrive%\
SavePath
Silent=2

I use this option mostly for my PC game saves. Makes it easy to restore them when the game is reinstalled later.

Edit: accepts %UserProfile% also.