Registration Suggestion

Astalavista

I want to suggest something. I didn't know where to put this i hope it can be read by the mods and move somewhere.

if u subscribe to msfn.org

u shouldn't be able to post for 2 days. a welcome message

should direct u to all the resources like http://unattended.msfn.org

or any relevant link.

that is the welcome message i received from www.videohelp.com

i couldn't post for 2 days. i was forced to READ! hehehehe :P

turns out what i wanted to ask was in the sticky already.

otherwise we hv every newbie asking question over and over again.

honestly, i was in the same boat when i started. I didn't want to research

and read. I just wanted instant gratification, no no no not that kind, get

your mind out of the gutter. :P

i partly agree, i had to ask a question on doom9 forums and registered and I had to wait for 5 days, after 5 days i forgot my question :(

well then eventually remembered but that postponed all my work..

but yea i agree on the newbie not reading part..

In many ways i understand your point...however MSFN is here to help...so limiting how people can get help here at msfn is not our aim.

We do agree that searching and reading the rules are key.....limiting new users abilities on the forum would take away from our community

I think we just need to find away to make people more interested in using the search and reading our rules...

|Drew|

hey how about after registering and after the verification of the email unattended guide can be loaded..

or when the user is posting for the 1st time, a message can appear saying "did u check out our guide?"

well anyways not a biggee. everyone learns after 1-2 posts :D

i'm not sure about this; is annoying when you read/reply over and over the same but the first time i came here was after reading that guide and because i wanted to know more about it so wait 2 days... like XMaC said, by that time you probably have forgot the question :P

perhaps and advertisement in the validation mail that advice you to search and read the unattended guide until posting your question :unsure:

I agree with what drew said. Limiting posting would be a downer.

But this is not a very big problem. I think new members are sent a PM by default, to read the rules and Guide before posting. So a more strict step is not necessary. I think the main problem for newbies, is the huge lot of things they can access in the forum. I mean... they don't have a simple interface, etc. - you can play around with so much in your forum-board interface, that they find it too intimidating to learn to search.

And then, changing the default search-period from "30 days" to "any date" is not good too, because most of us want to search only in last week, actually. :P So if it is "Search in any date" by default, that will totally flood the newbie with results. Again, it gets intimidating to look thru all of that, so they take the easy way out and directly post their repeated questions.

No, as of now no action is needed. Just wait until the upgrade to IPB2 is finished. Then, the new member when sent a PM (about the rules and guide and searching and introducing himself) - will see a big-coloured message at the top of the board. So he cannot possibly forget (or not notice) the PM. Patience, I think is needed. :) The entire frustration will be solved (or helped to a large extent) once the upgrade is done. It will solve itself, don't do anything about it.

If any of you feel irritated with repeated questions, the best thing you can do about it, is to *NOT* reply to it. After some days, they'll get round to search. Shouting at someone for not having read old topics only just deviates from the friendly atmosphere here. You either help the person, or don't reply to a question (if it irritates you). That's all.

I was a newbie too "once". Everyone wants instant gratification.

What i said was 2 days not 5 days :P at www.videohelp.com to wait

prior to posting.

And honestly people who REALLY reads those emal verification in detail. :P

LOL

I notice that in other forums the sticky is colored, something bright and attractive to the eye.

to be honest, in the past few days number of post of question seem to hv gone down. or maybe it is bec. of finals for college. I dont know.

Even the guide to Firefox and SetupBoot Screens... no post at all. hheehe

@prathapml

I'm all for being helpful....

but when someone asks how here in the Unattended section, how to script a CMD file using basic Batch Commands, I get kinda irratated because simply, they DIDN"T READ.

I mean seriously, if someone asks me that, then I can point a nice fingure at them and say read, simply because

Difficulty: Requires an intermediate experience of Microsoft Windows XP and a basic knowledge of how batch commands function.

They just demonstrated that they didn't even read THE FIRST PAGE of the unattended website. Once the unattended update is done and alot of answers are on there for most of the basic questions, I most likely will have a bit of frustration with people not reading and be tempted to ban their posting till they have read.

Too bad we can't have a quiz to allow access to post in the Unattended sections, with answers right on site. Would prove they read.....