Server 2003 Service Pack 1 Release Candidate

redfons

Initial projections had said mid-2005.

But remember its MS you're speaking about, so you never know..... (SP2 for XP got delayed by a year :P). In fact, this (SP1 for ws2k3) itself is a delay - it was originally supposed to be out earlier.

This is cool!

SP1 madness begins. :w00t:

This is where Server 2003 SP1 will have a home (sort of):

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...ck/default.mspx

Go there for accessing any technical details (all info :P) regarding it.

Changes to functionality in SP1

SP1 Technical product overview

SP1 FAQ

What hot-fixes are included in the latest RC ?

Top 10 Reasons to Install Windows Server 2003 SP1

And security configuration wizard in RC1 looks good!

sp1 went on fine for me B)

Compared to the huge folder of induvidual updates I have collected in preparation to patch future installs, it seems very worth while, even if it is only a beta/early release/whatever you want to call it.

Though the odd problem might happen once in a while :whistle:

Installed ok for me, but my adsl speeds seem to be have affected badly. On my 512k connection I usually get around 478-480 Kbps down. With SP1 installed I'm generally getting less than 400 Kbps down.

Removed SP1 and speeds returned to normal. Installed it again for a 2nd time, and the same symptoms.

@mendipjohn

The merging of hot-fixes into base sources - that's indeed a main reason why I like WS2k3 SP1 (even if its still in RC).

@Spaceboy

Two probable reasons for your problem:

1. Slip-stream SP1RC1 into your CD, and do a fresh install, and see if its fine now.

2. Or its the TCPIP max-half-connections limit affecting you - that can be patched to get back pre-SP1 style unlimited connections.

Ok, found the problem. On a normal 2k3 without Sp1, with an MTU of 1478, I'd get a default Rwin of 17256 without any TCPWindowsize setting in the registry.

With Sp1 installed, the default was set to around 65000. After adding a 17256 TCPWindowsize to the registry speeds are back to where they were previously.

With regards to the TCPIP max-half-connections limit, does anyone know whether SP1 RC1 is affected by this? I downloaded lvllord's TCPIP.sys patcher. When I run the program though, it tells me the current limit is 600.

• 5 weeks later...