SECURITY WARNING

When i try to start up Intertnet explorer i get i security warning prompt that says

SECURITY WARNING

Dear Internet Bank User,

it goes on to tell me about my account verification and they need the

number to access my account to prove that i'm the owner of the account.

then theres a box to type the account number and a check button

when i type something in the box and press check the computer crashes

don know what to do?

need help fast!

thanks

windows 98

cable modem

IE 6sp1

don know what to do?

need help fast!

First and foremost, get rid of win98 - move to win2k or XP.

Next, maybe your present win98 install is infected with viruses or worms (or you are subjected to a phishing attack). Remember, you should not need to give proof (to a real banking provider) that you own the account by logging in - they have other methods to confirm. So under no circumstances, should you give your password on it now - somebody else might get hold of it and do things you'd not like.

If you can't move to win2k/XP, atleast do a clean re-install of Win98 to get rid of all the junk that might have built-up.

Oh, and welcome to MSFN forums. :hello:

@KingXtreme You didn't put your account info in the box did you? Please say you didn't. If you did, then you need to get to your bank as fast as possible and tell them what happened. And I mean fast. IE crashing is going to be nothing compared to the problems you could potentially face. Get with your bank immediatly.

Do what prathapml said. Back up important files off your computer and re-install Win98 with a firewall, antivirus and anti-adware programs until you get Win Xp or Win2k and then install firewall, antivirus and anti-adware on that one too.

If you got this through e-mail, don't open that stuff up. If you're not sure about something but you know it's not important, just delete it and for goodness sake, do not click on any of the links or buttons, ever. The very least you do when you click on a link or button is let them know you are there and that you are willing to click the right button. Don't.

This message is typically a form of what is called 'Social Engineering'. Just so everyone is aware, there have been messages proportedly from Citibank asking for the same information.

However, when you look at the real e-mail address that originated the message it is not from a known Citibank domain. This is one sure fire way to tell.

Everyone be careful.