Help with math problem lol Bandwidth Cap Calculato

Synapse

ok... maybe i'm just getting stupider day by day.. but can someone help me with this math problem.

I'm making a program that will allow me to find out what would be the fastest i can download on a 500 Meg CAPPED for 2 hour.

Example...

800 meg download if i download too fast i'll hit the 500 meg cap and my Internet will become as slow as dialup. so what my program would do is tell me how fast I could download that 800 meg file without hitting the 500 meg cap. so let say it tells me 100 KBps. i can then run another program to limit my bandwith down to 100Kbps so i can download that 800 meg file at 100 Kbps and not hit the 2 hour 500 meg cap.

Hopefully someone out there paid attention in math class insted of playing calculator Games... ;)

we, well at least i'd have to know what's the max speed u can get? also i didn't exactly get the constrains, if u dl 500mb in 2 hours u get capped? so after how long do u get your normal internet speed back?

anyways i'm not going to solve your problem bc to me its not a complete question and includes personal preferences but i can suggest 1 thing. back in university we had 1.5gb limit per week and the counters reset at 12am saturday nights. so what i usually did is, if i'm going to dl a file from a stable source i'd queue it up in flashget and dl other stuff, then if i have bandwidth left i'd dl it on friday or saturday the latest...

also if u use flashget u can limit your dl speed.

also with du-meter u can see how much u've dl'ed at total monthly etc..

if I pass the 500 meg limit in 2 hours then i get basically dial up speed for 1 hour. (downloads are 5 kbps if i hit this cap) it gets reset every 2 hours. i'm not sure of how this is done though.

my max download speed is about 250KB/s..

only thing i really need, is the equation on how this could be done. i've been banging my head against the wall trying to figure this out.

250kbs, 1MB=4 seconds, 500MB=2000 seconds, 2000/60=33.3 min., 120 min./33.3=4(roughly), 250kbs/4=62kbs, 62*120*60=446,400kb.

You put it into one piece. :D

Edit>Something above isn't correct. But 62kbs x 60 sec. x 120 min.= 446,400kb

250kbs, 1MB=4 seconds, 500MB=2000 seconds, 2000/60=33.3 min., 120 min./33.3=4(roughly), 250kbs/4=62kbs, 62*120*60=446,400kb.

You put it into one piece.  :D

Edit>Something above isn't correct.  But 62kbs x 60 sec. x 120 min.= 446,400kb

*edited*

Edited by Bi0haZarD

Still need help lol.

hmm, so got around to trying this and well it did look correct at first but maybe i'm still confused...

but i tried putting a large number for the file size (in your case 446 megs) i used 8 gigs lol and it came back with 1,111 kbps.. which is definently wrong. the formula is more of a if your speed was 1,111 kb/s you could download 8 megs in 2 hours....

unless my math is still wrong lol.

btw, that formula simplified is

800,000 / 7,200 = Speed

800,000 = File Size

7,200 = 2(60²) *or 60 x 60 x 2*

I'm not sure about a monthly or weekly cap as i don't download large files to much.. but i was downloading the Linux RedHat CDs at about 150 Kbps i hit my cap and the speed went down to 5 Kbps... i decided ok i'll just leave it until the hour is up then it'll speed back up. but for some reason if i don't use a download manager the files time out and it cancles the download.

so basically what happens is...

1. I start Downloading about 800 megs

2. I hit 500 megs before 2 hours is up and the ISP caps my speed

3. All of my computers on my network can no longer download higher then 10 kbps.

4. 1 hours passes since i got capped

5. Downloads speed back up to normal.

so basically what i want is..

1. to be able to type 800 megs into my program

2. hit calculate and it tells me like 100 Kbps (dunno exact number bear with me)

3. so i limit my max speed to 100 Kbps and start downloading.

4. in 2 hours i should be right under the 500 meg limit lets call it i downloaded 400megs.

5. my ISP shoudn't Cap me since i haven't hit the cap in 2 hours. and the clock resets...

6. my download finishes in about another 2 hours meanwhile my dad and i get 100 megs worth of bandwidth to go internet browsing during this time...

hmm well cancelling out to me has 2-3 reasons

1. the server u're dling from is too busy.

2. that server might be a slow server and might not support resume..

3. u're network options might not be configured well, (though i don't think so. there are some apps for optimizing cable/dsl/satellite stuff, but....)

Edited by XtremeMaC

What I was trying to say is that at 62kbs (I quickly scratched this out on paper, with a calculator I got 69kbs for 500 MB), in 2 hours you will have downloaded 446.4 MB of info. If your cap is 500 MB in two hours, it doesn't matter what formula you use for 800 MB. It is still going to be 69kbs max download speed for two hours which will let you continue on to download the rest of the file to 800 MB. If you have a max of 500 MB per 2 hours, you won't be able to go faster after the first two hours because you will still have a two hour window in the latter portion of your download that will excede your 500 MB limit.

@XtremeMaC na, this isn't computer settings or server settings.. as soon as the cap is hit ALL computers on my network slow to a halt. not router problem either nor modem. its the crappy ISP capping.

untitled917.jpg

From: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,11671719~mode=flat

*actaully i'm not sure if we are signed up for Residential or Residential Plus... I think its Residential Plus cause i can upload about 58 megs before capping.. and download is around 500 megs before capping*

@DaLurker ahh i see thanks :D

Yeah, I appologies. I should have backed off, re-thought and then posted. I left it to confusing. I knew that when I posted it. :blink:

edit> Don't even know if I have a cap. I know I have downloaded versions of Linux for multiple CD's and just let the computer go at it. It will download anywhere from 150kbs to 350kbs until it finishes. Only limits I have seen are bottlenecks on the internet or the server I am trying to download from.