[How To]: ATI Catalyst

SiMoNsAyS

Simon, I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I followed instructions that you provided on the first page. The ATI videocard drivers installed correctly, but the control panel didn't install. I don't know why. I created the detached.cmd with the following inside:

@echo off

FOR %%d IN (c: d: e: f: g: h: i: j: k: l: m: n: o: p: q: r: s: t: u: v: w: x: y: z:) DO IF EXIST %%d\$OEM$\$1\detached.cmd SET CDROM=%%d

start /wait %CDROM%Software\ATIRARSFX.exe

EXIT

However, nothing happened. Is it because I didn't use a RarSFX to pack the control panel? I'm not sure how to use RarSFX to pack it...

Could someone explain please why this

@echo off
FOR %%d IN (c: d: e: f: g: h: i: j: k: l: m: n: o: p: q: r: s: t: u: v: w: x: y: z:) DO IF EXIST %%d\$OEM$\$1\detached.cmd SET CDROM=%%d
EXIT

and not this

start /wait %CDROM%\Software\ATIRARSFX.exe

@Sgt_Strider, i didn't misunderstood you. i said, first, try your setup on your host machine and be sure it works. if it didn't work using the silent switch, then use the setup.iss method. btw... if driver is installed then the sfx extracts without the problem. i suppose you added the runonce entries to run the setup of CP... if not, how it is going to be installed? :P

at the moment i'm a bit confused, you said you don't know how to pack the CP but you did it with drivers? so please be more concrete on next post and follow the instructions exactly how i pointed :)

@Yzöwl, try it by yourself and see what happens ;)

Okay, I just tried a basic cmd from the desktop for the first CD I picked up

@echo off
FOR %%K IN (d: e: f: g: h: i: j: k: l: m: n: o: p: q: r: s: t: u: v: w: x: y: z:) DO IF EXIST %%K\hosts\HOSTS SET CDROM=%%K
DIR /P %CDROM%\Books
PAUSE
EXIT

Then I tried it like this

@echo off
FOR %%K IN (d: e: f: g: h: i: j: k: l: m: n: o: p: q: r: s: t: u: v: w: x: y: z:) DO IF EXIST %%K\hosts\HOSTS SET CDROM=%%K
DIR /P %CDROM%Books
PAUSE
EXIT

Guess what, they both work!

It still doesn't explain how the \ is added though, can someone enlighten me please.

@Sgt_Strider, i didn't misunderstood you. i said, first, try your setup on your host machine and be sure it works. if it didn't work using the silent switch, then use the setup.iss method. btw... if driver is installed then the sfx extracts without the problem. i suppose you added the runonce entries to run the setup of CP... if not, how it is going to be installed? :P

at the moment i'm a bit confused, you said you don't know how to pack the CP but you did it with drivers? so please be more concrete on next post and follow the instructions exactly how i pointed :)

@Yzöwl, try it by yourself and see what happens ;)

Simon, I didn't use Winrar to pack the drivers. I just set it up the way how I understood your post and the driver did install itself. However, the CP didn't install and I did use RunOnceEx, but the CP didn't install. I'll try again, but I have my doubts.

Alright Simon, I will explain again since my frustration level is peaking now. I didn't use Winrar to pack the driver or the control panel. All I did was just click on the Catalyst and Control panel package from ATI so that it'll extract itself, then I went into the Support folder and copy and paste the driver and control panel from there into a ATI folder like your guide stated. Then I just use winnt.sif and point it to the videocard driver and it installs. Notice how I said I didn't use Winrar to pack the drivers? Now I look at your step 3, I think you want me to use Winrar to pack the control panel? Correct? If so, how do I embed the following comment that you lay out in Step 3?

;The comment below contains SFX script commands

Path=%SYSTEMDRIVE%\

Silent=1

Overwrite=1

Also can I just place this anywhere in winnt.sif?

DetachedProgram=cmd.exe

Arguments="/C START %systemdrive%\detached.cmd"

Also I guess I have to make a deatched.cmd and place it in the $OEM$\$1\detached.cmd correct?

@echo off

EXIT

Where is the file ATIRARSFX.exe? I don't see it anywhere and that is possibly why the control panel is not installing.

i think you don't have any idea on what you're doing ;)

you're problem is not with video drivers because they're already installed. let start by points:

1.-

;The comment below contains SFX script commands

Path=%SYSTEMDRIVE%\
Silent=1
Overwrite=1

as the first line says the comment contains RAR SFX script commands. you must know how to create RAR-SFX, there are a LOT of posts talking about it and the piece of code i pasted is the comment you need to add to the archive. i won't get far on this.

Also can I just place this anywhere in winnt.sif?
hell no! :P

2.-

DetachedProgram=cmd.exe

Arguments="/C START %systemdrive%\detached.cmd"

Also I guess I have to make a deatched.cmd and place it in the $OEM$\$1\detached.cmd correct?

that is ONLY if you're using the rar'ed compressed file, if not why add it?

3.-

Where is the file ATIRARSFX.exe?
lol, it's the SFX archive, if you didn't create it... how can you find it??

you must have a few knowledges until getting on this, i tried to explain it as easy as i could but you need to know a bit about how the process goes.

the final solution... look the estructure,

ATI\

-CP\

-Drivers\

place the ATI folder on $OEM$\$1\ and simply add this code to runonce

IF EXIST %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\atiddc.dll REG ADD %KEY%\055 /VE /D "Catalyst Control Panel" /f
IF EXIST %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\atiddc.dll REG ADD %KEY%\055 /V 1 /D "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\ATI\CP\Setup.exe /K" /f

that's all

I don't understand and I'm about to give up. I placed the ATI driver and CP in the $OEM$\$1 folder instead of using Winrar since it would have been more confusing for me. Then I copy and paste the following in notepad

IF EXIST %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\atiddc.dll REG ADD %KEY%\055 /VE /D "Catalyst Control Panel" /f

IF EXIST %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\atiddc.dll REG ADD %KEY%\055 /V 1 /D "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\ATI\CP\Setup.exe /K" /f

and I save it as RunOnceEx.cmd in the $OEM$\$1 folder. Then I just use xpcreate to create my ISO and I burned it on to a CDRW. After it was done formatting, the control panel still didn't installed. It's possible the videocard driver wasn't installed, but everything appears ok on the desktop. How do I check if the videocard driver is installed properly? Second, can you provide me with more specific instructions as I'm going no where. Just providing me with nothing new and said "search" and "search" I still haven't made much progress since I reported my problem.

i'm not planing to reply anymore, it is really frustrating explain 1 thing another and another time. all the info you need has been covered on this thread or on the unattended msfn guide.

Then I copy and paste the following in notepad and I save it as RunOnceEx.cmd in the $OEM$\$1 folder.
why are you doing that? how can you execute it? runonce.cmd needs to be placed on the $oem$\ folder and need to be called from cmdlines.txt, if not, how it is going to be executed?

using runonce

How do I check if the videocard driver is installed properly?
****! you need to know those basic things. check the device manager, driver properties of the the display adapter (don't ask me how to reach device manager).
Second, can you provide me with more specific instructions as I'm going no where.
folders are properly located, you say drivers were installed successful, LEARN how to work with runonce and add the lines i pointed.
Just providing me with nothing new and said "search" and "search" I still haven't made much progress since I reported my problem.
ok this is enough, I've never said SEARCH because all what you need is covered on this thread or the official guide (btw, have you read it?). i'm not going to be more specific because i CAN'T be more specific. good luck on your hard task.

Hi, new in posting but reading for a while (daily for the last 2 months plus :) ). Made my uA Disk without needing to post. All info available with searching!

The silent install switch for RadLinker is "-silent", probably works for RadClocker as well. :}

• 2 weeks later...

Just so you guys know, the 5.2s are out, but it seems there is a bug in the setup file. When the /k command is used, the setup starts but never stops, so it never gets to the next step unless you kill the setup process.

At least that is what I've seen on an asus P4C800-E-DX and an MSI FX5600XT. Could be the issue is hardware related and not something you'll encouter all the time, but since this this board has been quite useful to me I figured you guys deserved the heads up.

Frnak

Just so you guys know, the 5.2s are out, but it seems there is a bug in the setup file. When the /k command is used, the setup starts but never stops, so it never gets to the next step unless you kill the setup process.

At least that is what I've seen on an asus P4C800-E-DX and an MSI FX5600XT. Could be the issue is hardware related and not something you'll encouter all the time, but since this this board has been quite useful to me I figured you guys deserved the heads up.

Frnak

:o:blink::realmad:

This can't be true..... ????? !!!!

Can anyone confirm this? :'(