Runas

ozbob

Hi,

I have a question regarding software installations using elevated rights or the equivalent of runas. We have always been having problems trying to get this right.

In the description of the Execute modules the following is stated: Plugin to allow the execution of programs. Supports executing progams under a different user.

So far I have not found any document which shows how to use this feature.

If it would be possible to use another account, how could the passowrd be encrytped within the XML or external file providing the user password?.

I have been looking at a lot of post install tools, I find the xplode product most convinient and the XML scripts easy to work with. The thing I do think missing from xplode is a way to query values of registry keys, file versions etc.

Thanx.

Try going to a command prompt and typing runas /? >c:\runoptions.txt

This will create a sort of help file for you to use when incorporating this into your build.

Don't know if it will work if being run from an XML file or if you can encrypt the password. You can however, use it with smartcards for authentication, then passwords are probably not an issue.

Put username="blah" password="chunks" in the execute tag.

Obviously you'll need to change this to what is applicable for you.

At the moment though, it requires full paths of applications, and only works with EXE's - with an MSI, you *will* need to run msiexec, with the msi file as the argument.

This setup will change in XPlode 3.00, as it will be running off tokens, and as such, all operations can be run through another user account.

Thanks for your help, I will try it out.

What about the other question, encryption of the password? will this be possible in version 3 maybe...

Using variables (like in WIHU) will this be something available in version 3?

Explain your concept of "variables".

As for encryption - nothing as of yet.

For the moment, if you don't want people to know passwords and whatnot, delete the XML once you're done with it.

Querying file versions etc. is no point as of now, without conditional statements. Implementing them would just convolute the scripts more than they are now.

If there's an overwhelming majority of people that would like them, then there may be a possibilty of working on them.

Regarding the variables, it was not the proper word choice. I would like to check registry keys to find out if a certain driver has registered in order to load the appropriate software for this driver.

Verifying file versions is less valid since I suppose it is a known fact when deploying an unattended install. If xplode is used after deployment it might be more usable.

:o