P4 or Intel Celeron

gamehead200

Ok, so I'm shopping around for a new processor when I see Pentium 4 and the Intel Celeron Processor.  Now the P4 (1.6GHz) goes for about $259.99 Canadian and the Intel Celeron (1.7GHz) one goes for about $149.99 Canadian.  Which one should I buy?

A Celeron in any form is still garbage! Go with the P4!!!

The three major differences between the P4 and The Celly are substantial.

FSB vs FSB: The P4 2260 and higher have 533 FSB (Front Side Bus). The Celly has 133 FSB. In terms of FSB, buy nothing less that a P4 2260. The 533 FSB was introduced by Intel just this year. The technology has been in the works since 1981! It is reviewed on my site, www.msnwar.com, along with some sweet motherboards, and links to other reviews.

Cache vs Cache: The P4 has 512 MB and the Celly has 128 MB. Like zivan56 pointed out. The bigger 512 cache on the P4 is important in terms of performance.

You have to look close at store bought PCs. Will the motherboard paired with a P4 support 533 FSB? I have seen some that do not. Be sure to ask before you buy.

How about if I were to dual-boot XP and Linux, which one would be better?

Different operating systems on the same hard drive in a dual boot scenario is a different ball game all together. The hard drives file system format is more important (NTFS vs FAT32) than the type of CPU, but I would lean towards the Pentium in a Linux / Windows XP configuration.

Keep in mind that not all hardware is compatible with Linux. I would reference www.linux.org for a list of hardware that is Linux compatible. Would be shame if your new video card was not supported by the version of Linux you decide to use.

What flavor of Linux are you thinking about?

And this is cool: One PC, Six Hard Drives, 37 OSes!

http://www.maximumpc.com/features/feature_...2002-09-24.html

Thanks to the Reverend :) I scalped it from Him :rolleyes:

OK, so I got my list of things, and all I'm missing is my tower and power supply. Tell me if this is worth the price at Future Shop...

Azen 128MB PC-100 (RAM)

Intel Pentium 4 1.6GHz Processor

Cicero Internal 1.44MB 3.5 Floppy

Cicero Maxtor 20GB 7200RPM HD (Optional)

Creative Sound Blaster 16 - PCI

ATI Radeon 7000 64MB PCI Video Card

Pine 56x CD-ROM Drive

LG 40x12x10x Internal CD-RW Drive

Western Digital 60GB 7200RPM EIDE HD

All this for $1259.43 including 14.5% tax. Tell me what I am missing for my computer or any upgrades I shoulf get for the Hardware.

I recommend Partition Magic 8, for creating/resizing the partitions...I believe there is a wizard to setup the Dual-Booting as well...

Then, once you create partitions, put in your bootable disc, and setup, and select the partition you want to install the OS onto...

All this for $1259.43 including 14.5% tax.

I would probably get:

512mb PC1066 RDRam

Pentium 4 1.6GHz Processor

Cicero Internal 1.44MB 3.5 Floppy

Creative Sound Blaster 16 - PCI

ATI Radeon 8500 128MB AGP (Get a mobo with AGP)

Pine 56x CD-ROM Drive

40x12x10x Internal CD-RW Drive

Western Digital 120gb EIDE 8mb/Buffer 7200RPM

No more then $100 more.... :)