Pre-Installed Program Files?

X P

I was putting a bunch of installers for programs in the '\$OEM$\$1\Install\Applications\' Folder and I was just wondering if you could just install a program now, go to the Program Files, and just copy the whole folder to the '\$OEM$\$Progs\' Folder, which will get transferred to the hard drive's 'Program Files' during the installation of the unattended Windows. Has anyone actually tried this? Even if you haven't, post what you think will happen... ;)

Theoretically, if you could find all the registry keys the installer makes and apply them to the new registry, this might work. But you'd probably be better off sticking with running the installer.

But I DO know that this method would work for WinZip, at least.

So... your point is that I would also have to copy over the registry files? If that is all I have to do... Could you tell me what directory the registry files are located in? :huh:

now seriously...you have some understanding issues....

InstallRite is a program that monitors an applications installation, then creates a custom one from the changes.

"copying over the registry files"

Definate misunderstanding there. It does NOT matter where you copy over the registry files...HOWEVER, all that DOES matter is that you run regedit.exe /s (regfile) to actually import the registry changes. Otherwise, no matter what folder you copy the REG files to, that's all that will happen. The REG files are copied, but nothing is taken from them.

Try visiting the website: http://www.appdeploy.com

Lots of useful info.

Judging by what I read of your post, you are asking for lots of problems trying to install programs by copying files and trying to add registry entries.

Use the .msi if possible, if not use one of the installers from the above website to create an installation package.

They are easy to learn and easy to use. There are four or five of them that are available free of charge.