format dialog ..

midiboy

Hi Benjamin,

back again after a while ;)

I did an unattended installation yesterday on some friends PC and came across a problem if there are 2 partitions (C, D) created during Windows setup. Then, D is not being formatted during Windows setup, only C is as Windows is installed on that drive.

After unattended setup is finished, Wihu starts and I am trying to add a user whose Personal folders are set to be created on D:\%ThisUser% in Wihu.

Now the problem is that D is not yet formatted so nothing can be created there, yet Wihu does not say so. I think I once asked you about this already ( in the first stages of Wihu ) but then I forgot about it.

Would you be able to add a "check" to Wihu that checks if the drive is formatted while the personal folders are created and then gives the user the possibility to format the drive before the user and the folders are actually being created ?

Thanks ! Hope you are fine !

Bye,

Alex

:hello:

try adding this to your ini

description.0 = Format D: Partition
command.0 = cmd /c "echo Y | format D: /fs:ntfs /V:Data /Q"
selected.0 = 1

the users settings don't take effect (i believe) until the user first logs in, so if you do the above command you shouldn't have a problem.

Ok, I'll add this.

But there are some things that have to be discussed first.

What if /autoinstall=0 is used i.e. no user interruption is made? Should WIHU do an autoformat despite the fact that the volume wasn't unformated accidently but may be was detected by Windows as unformated?

What if an format error occures?

Should the user decide which filesystem, clustersize, label ... should be used?

Or should WIHU make the decission?

Benjamin

Hi !

@smood1:

the users settings don't take effect (i believe) until the user first logs in, so if you do the above command you shouldn't have a problem.
Unfortunately, I believe that is not entirely true. If you add a user in Wihu and specify some personal folders, those folders are created right while executing Wihu and, I think, before the software installation process is started in Wihu so your command will come too late. At least thats what I think ... :unsure:

But thanks for the command syntax ! :)

@Benjamin:

Thanks for adding this feature ! :-)

What if an format error occures?

Mhh, how about an error message and a choice to repeat the format or skip it ?

Should the user decide which filesystem, clustersize, label ... should be used?
Yes of course but you could also add some switches to install.ini to create a "default" template for this.
Or should WIHU make the decission?

Not by default. However, you could also add another switch to Wihu to do that (for people using Wihu on similar systems that might be nice)

What if /autoinstall=0 is used i.e. no user interruption is made? Should WIHU do an autoformat despite the fact that the volume wasn't unformated accidently but may be was detected by Windows as unformated?

That I did not understand completely yet. Sorry :rolleyes:

Bye,

Alex

That I did not understand completely yet. Sorry

There may be some situations where windows detects that a specified drive isn't formated but which isnt true. This could happen if windows don't detect the filesystem type or so. It's critical then to format the drive due data lost.

Benjamin Kalytta

Currently format dialog looks like this: (see attachment)

post-90-1100127511_thumb.png

Hi Benjamin,

ah, I understand, you mean like if the drive is formatted with Reiser or other Linux filesystems for instance ...

mhh, well ... I guess Wihu should then ask the user what to do ...

Your screenshot looks great ! :w00t: Two small remarks ... the countdown can be turned off in install.ini I guess ? and a quick format switch would be nice ( but I said so already)

Thanks,

Alex

• 3 weeks later...

Be patient ;)

Currently Im very stressed because of my examinations. Format routine is already complete, but it isn't integrated into WIHU yet because there are some things that have to be clarifyied first like what if WIHU can't format a certain drive, but the drive contains each shellfolders. This would cause WIHU to call Format Dialog certain times, could be annoying. And some things more.

Benjamin Kalytta