Constructive Criticism required... Warning 56kers

Denney

These are a few new designs I've been working on for my business. I'm after any constructive criticism on these images.

The original image/banner is found in my signature.

Corporate Logo:

MSACorpLogo.jpg

Main Logo:

MSAMouseLogo.jpg

Advertising Logo (used inside some software):

MSAWorldLogo.jpg

you want an opinion? it looks nice, but it feels a bit weird, where would you use these designs exacly, one of them looks like a mousepad that is really cool just like the one with the planet those two are really cool. the other one, in my opinion, the 1st one doesnt seem to tell what your company is about, dont have a certain character i hope i didnt bring you down with these opinions. can you put me the link for the one with a globe in 800x600 resolution, it makes agreat wallpaper :thumbup

The first logo would generally be on our website with "Mantra Software Australia" written beside it.

The other 2 would be used on our sub-websites (like personal ones, etc.) and in programs that we distribute.

Once I get these designs finalized I will be adding them to our website as wallpapers and such.

Edit: Opinions are exactally what I want. Say whatever you want so long as it's constructive. Thanks for the feedback.

Here are another couple... We're a little undecided on the color to choose.

Please people, we need some criticisim here... 49 views, 1 reply... Oh, and please don't rip our images... (not yet at least).

Computer - Creamy:

CompLogoCreamySmall.jpg

Computer - Blue:

CompLogoBlueSmall.jpg

Well, we've scrapped the 2 computer images... they don't scale well.

The corporate logo we're keeping as just that. Won't be seen much (will be the setup screen on our MSAXP Project for instance).

The main logo is just that, the main logo. Will be used for medium sized images (doesn't scale small very well).

The earth logo will be used as a background to certain projects (Windows wallpaper for example).

We just need to design some generic user account avatars now.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Here's my $.02...

Three main things I think you should keep in mind when working on logos in general:

Color

Contrast

CSimplicity :blushing:

Heh, couldn't keep the alliteration going.. :whistle:

If and when you need to print up things like letterhead, business cards, signs, you'll find that Lots of Colors = Lots of $$$. (And in psychological respects, there is actually an inverse relationship between color complexity and memorability...That's why IBM's logo is solid blue, Verizon's logo is a big red checkmark, and Qantas' logo is a simple red kangaroo (or a red field with a simple white kangaroo within it). I know it's fun and neat to play with all the neat features of paint programs, but in the world of business, where instant recognizability is highly sought after, less = more!

As far as contrast, the further away or smaller your logo can be recognized at the better. Contrast is the key here. Again, IBM's blue logo is great. Search the web for some color contrast studies. You should find a whole slew of combinations that someone has gone to great trouble to determine that people can recognize most quickly. Try to adopt one of these color sets for your company, keeping it close to the colors you've already started using, if you like, or completely going off the deep end and re-inventing yourselves. Just FYI, if I remember correctly, the most perceivable color contrast combination is yellow text on a black background. Haven't seen many companies using that yet, except maybe that small company that nobody's heard of called Caterpiller... :lol:

And finally, CSimplicity...er..Simplicity. Take a look at logos of major corporations for ideas. Believe it or not, they have the money to hire some of the most talented people on earth to create their corporate images; people who have taken great pains (and spent lots of money) to discover all sorts of human factors that go into making a particular symbol recognizable. I'm sure I don't even have to tell you what McDonald's logo shape is, or IBM's, or Nike's... Look at the simple lines of every one of these logos and then apply that mindset to your company's image. You don't even need to use your letters...you can use the "meaning" of your name, or an "impression" you want to convey, or even a "principle" your company embodies. Look at Cingular wireless. Um..Cingular...does that conjure an image of a happy jumping orange guy? Probably not...but that happy jumping orange guy certainly brings the name Cingular to mind.

So that's all the unsolicited input I have about that. Now, specifically, about the ideas you've posted. At this point, I don't think any of them are as good as you could do. However, I LOVE the design of the "S". It looks like it's going a hundred miles an hour. You've got a real opportunity to get yourself a very recognizable logo with a little work. Remember the three C's above! ;) Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

About beaumar's simplicity suggestion, look at how many companies have a circle or circles and/or three marks. Mercedes- circle/three straight lines/three portions, Toyota- circle/two ovals, and so on.

Haven't seen many companies using that yet, except maybe that small company that nobody's heard of called Caterpiller...

Ever heard of... Stanley tools? ;)

Very good points beumar. I believe the "S" thing could be reworked a little using some of beumar's advice.

BTW the S looks just like a snake.