Can't fake the install for WinXP Pro

RoxIchabod

While trying to get the installation files for WinXP Pro, I get this error message...

Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD.

I know it's due to the fact the CD has SP1 and my computer has SP2 installed. Is there anyway of overriding the intall into thinking it's ok? I only want the installation files. I know Windows is trying to be nice and not let me mess up my computer, but dang it's my right! :realmad:

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

I would reccomend not instaling Xp from within a preexisting OS. Rather Boot from the CD Rom.

You can Change to boot order of your IDE devices within the Bios. To enter this hit and hold the "Del" key on Boot.

Make sure the Xp Cd is in the cd rom tray on boot and you will be prompted to boot off it. DO so and follow the on screen instructions. From there you can install your Xp SP1

|Drew|

@drew

:P Read Flyakite's website under XP. Instead of downloading the boot discs from Windows, it says to do a mock install....sorta like Gosh's Reduced Source Method. It starts the install in Windows, copies the files over to the harddrive in $WINNT~LS$ or something like that. The BT folder is what we're trying to get at.

Only reason I had a clue what he was talkin about specifically was the forum he posted in :P Otherwise I would have said the same as you.

BOY!!

I TOLD you the only ways so far documented....

Download the bootdisks form Microsoft (SETUP BOOT DISKS) and extract them all to a folder...

Use a virtual Machine, install an older version of windows, and do it that way. THOSE ARE THE ONLY WAYS

Well, I did find an easier way. Just skip the WinXP-SP1 mock install entirely. I slipstreamed SP2 into the installation files and ran a mock install of WinXP-SP2 instead. I needed SP2 on my installs anyways. Sorry if I caused any discontent :}

The reduced source way is not really needed.... also the pain to get the boot folder is superfluous:

1. to reduce the size, you can use nLite

2. to avoid to get the boot folder files, just copy and rename the i386 folder of the original to the target cd root, and than follow my post in this forum:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=31844