Registering File Extensions Unattended

SiMoNsAyS

.nfo file types are usually bundled with "underground" releases. they're purpose is to be displayed on a command-window b/c they include an ASCII logo better viewed under DOS.

you can try to import the batch file at first post that associates those .nfo files with "type" command and take a look by yourself ;)

I think it's easier and worth the 1mb to place the nfo viewer exe by **** somewhere and do the extension relationships as desired. You can avoid the odd window sizing of the cmd window this way and get a more sleek appearance.

I think it's easier and worth the 1mb to place the nfo viewer exe by **** somewhere and do the extension relationships as desired. You can avoid the odd window sizing of the cmd window this way and get a more sleek appearance.

well just depends on your taste, i personally preffer the batch method. i avoid that window sizing just adding a couple of regtweaks :)

@NeoDeath, i can't help you with that cuz i never used foobar. btw, take a look at the examples, won't be difficult to create your own regs ;)

No, it's not working. I installed PowerDVD 6.0, and it took over .mpeg, .mpg, and .mp3 associations
I haven't used PowerDVD in quite awhile but it seems like there's a setting in one of its option/preference menus that can change that for you.

If not, and you're comfortable going into the registry you'll have to manually adjust the entries that PowerDVD made. The changes need to be made will be in

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpg]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp3]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpeg]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mp3file]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mpegfile]

I've attached a .REG file that might help you. It's 123 lines so I didn't want to list it all here.

Good luck!

mpg_fixed.reg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jane - Just Another Nasty Editor

I used Regshot to track the association to .nfo and .diz made by the program itself.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.diz]
@=".nfo.diz.file"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.nfo]
@=".nfo.diz.file"

This does the trick, but it is not perfect, because the icons remain the same, while associating within the program the icons also change.

Can someone give some help?

I upload the Regshot .txt file

Jane.txt

Look here

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.nfo.diz.file

Thank you, you made me understand.

Jane creates a new entry:.nfo.diz.file

Then sends .diz and .nfo entries to .nfo.diz.file.

So I just have to export .nfo.diz.file.

Again, thank you.

But now I have a new question:

How can I make the Open entry not depending of the letter drive where I installed Jane?

I mean:

In .nfo.diz.file I have Shell»Open»Command»"E:\Programs\Jane\Jane.exe""%1"

I have tried to replace E: for %systemdrive%, but it does not work.

If you are using the REG ADD command...it will parse all the variables at the time of execution...the better way to do it would be to use this reg file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.nfo.diz.file\shell\open\command]
@="\"%ProgramFiles%\\Jane\\Jane.exe\" \"%1\""

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, here is Jane association:

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.diz" /VE /D ".nfo.diz.file" /F
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.nfo" /VE /D ".nfo.diz.file" /F
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.nfo.diz.file" /VE /D ".nfo.diz.file" /F
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.nfo.diz.file\DefaultIcon" /VE /D "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Programs\Util\Jane\jane.exe,0" /F
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.nfo.diz.file\Shell"
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.nfo.diz.file\Shell\Open" /VE /D "&Open" /F
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.nfo.diz.file\Shell\Open\Command" /VE /D "\"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Programs\Util\Jane\jane.exe\" \"%%1\"" /F

The code path must be replaced according to each install path.

How can I make the Open entry not depending of the letter drive where I installed Jane?

I mean:

In .nfo.diz.file I have Shell»Open»Command»"E:\Programs\Jane\Jane.exe""%1"

I have tried to replace E: for %systemdrive%, but it does not work.

Here's an example using your latest reply
reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.diz /ve /d ".nfo.diz.file" /f
reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.nfo /ve /d ".nfo.diz.file" /f
reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.nfo.diz.file /ve /d ".nfo.diz.file" /f
reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.nfo.diz.file\DefaultIcon /ve /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "%%SystemDrive%%\Programs\Util\Jane\jane.exe,0" /f
reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.nfo.diz.file\Shell\Open /ve /d "&Open" /f
reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.nfo.diz.file\Shell\Open\Command /ve /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "\"%%SystemDrive%%\Programs\Util\Jane\jane.exe\" \"%%1\"" /f

Hello Yzowl.

Is it really needed that REG_EXPAND_SZ?

Because the reg information I posted works perfectly.

When I asked

I didn't know that .reg files don't allow %variables%. After finding that, I turned the .reg code I had posted to Reg Add and it works.

Thanks

Noone said that your code didn't work, also look at the original message I quoted and tell me where it mentions a reg file.

I simply answered a question which was pertinent to your latest file. If you open your registry editor and go to the 'open' key, you will see an entry with a drive letter. The method I showed you has an entry 'not depending of the letter', i.e. %systemdrive%.

Incidentally, it may have been a good idea to highlight the fact that your file is for an install into a non-standard location. Most people will be using %ProgramFiles% not %SystemDrive%\Programs.