nLite before or after changes to CD?

Does one use nLite to reduce the size of CD before or after making the other changes, for eg. adding drivers, applications, SATA driver slipstreaming, registry tweaks etc? I would like to use nLite only to reduce the size of the CD.

This is what I do:

1.Slipstream SP2 into XP -> using nLite

2.Extract RyanVM’s Pack to i386

3.Use nLite -> DON’T make an iso yet!!

4.Make RyanVM’s adjustments to dosnet.inf and txtsetup.sif

5.Do Gosh's Unattended Secret Reducing Size of Source: -> copy svcpack-folder back to i386

6.Remove obsolete stuff -> fonts and keyboard-layouts

7.Use Unattended Guide

8.Add modified files

9. Make iso using nLite

This works for me.

EDIT: But yes, RUN NLITE BEFORE MAKING ANY OTHER CHANGES TO THE CD.

Strange, the first time I used nLIte on a fresh Windows CD to reduce it's size and then added my stuff which gave me all the missing file errors. But the second time I first added all my stuff to a fresh Windows CD and then used nLite to reduce the size, this time total success.

Thus can someone please tell me which is the right way.

EDIT: But yes, RUN NLITE BEFORE MAKING ANY OTHER CHANGES TO THE CD.

What RyanVM said ;)

Sorry, but I think you guys are wrong. Why do I say so? Well for starters as mentioned above my experience shows that it is the other way around. Also I think it has to do with the fact that nLite makes changes to certain files and specially to textsetup.sif so if I were to make changes to the CD after nLite that would mean replacing the 'textsetup.sif' file also, since slipstreaming of SATA drivers requires changes to the 'textsetup.sif' file. I guess what you guys might be suggesting is that I use nLite first on a fresh Windows and then make my changes to the 'Textsetup.sif' file fromt he nLite package, rather than replacing it, right?

well, all I can say is that during the course of making my update pack, I tried adding entries to txtsetup.sif before running nLite. After running nLite, I searched txtsetup.sif for those entries and they were gone. Likewise for dosnet.inf. Take that for what you will :rolleyes:

I think I have figured out what the confusion is. It is limited to the two files that are changed by both myself and nLite, namely the files being, txtsetup.sif and dosnet.inf When I stated that upon using nLite before adding my stuff I forgot to mention that I also replaced txtsetup.sif and dosnet.inf with my versions which obviously did not inlude the changes by nLite and thus the errors with the installation. On the other hand when I first added my files and then used nLite everything went smoothly although this time I installed on a computer with no SATA drives so therefore for all I know that might not be working as per what RyanVM has experienced. Although I must say that upon checking the file itself I still see the entries that I made to txtsetup.sif regarding SATA, very much present.