asms error

i'm installing windows xp pro with sp2 slipstream intergrated....

well

at the 39 minute stage of install the very first?

I'm getting a asms I/O error and tells me windows can't find one of the required components needed to install windows...

anyone have an suggestions?

all mod files are replaced and i've done nothing different than what I have always done...

i tried one with enlight also with ryans vm pack and i still got the same error..

i can't take a screen shot of it cause I don't have virtual machine , this system I am on can't run it anyway... I'm working on another system

thanks...

ERROR

Installation Failed: E:\I386\asms. ERror Message : The Request could not be performed because of an I/O Device Error.

Fatal Error:

One of the compnents that windows needs to continue setupcould not be installed

The Request Could not be performed because of an I/O Device error.

Fatal Error:

One of the compnents that windows needs to continue setupcould not be installed

The Request Could not be performed because of an I/O Device error.

cybri2k, I just tried a google search for "Installation Failed: E:\I386\asms" and it turned up a host of possible causes. You will probably want to try this yourself and try some of the common fixes.

• 2 years later...

hi, the problem I think is windows is looking in the wrong place for the cd drive. This can be because you have a partitioned harddisk or mutiple hard disks. maybe 2 cd drives? usb memory drives? blah stuff like that. I've found a fix but not for an unattended method :(

Details by Terry on 02/10/2007 nocrash forum

When the "File 'asms'... " problem occurs, press 'SHIFT F10' for DOS

Type regedit.exe then 'Enter' key

Scroll down and click to highlight HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (must be highlighted!)

Up top L/H side click 'File', then click 'Load Hive'

A window box will appear and, in there, type

%Windir%\System32\Config\System.sav click 'Enter'

When prompted for a name, type Test

Locate and then click the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Test\ControlSet1\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Delete the UPPERFILTERS and LOWERFILTERS registry keys by left click highlight, right click 'delete' + (are you sure) buttons.

You may have to do this again if there are any "..\Test\Controlxxx\control\Class" entries apart from ..ControlSet001\

Either way, up top left click 'File' , then click 'Exit'

The Microsoft site says the following:................................

If the path in the error message is the correct drive letter for the CD-ROM drive, click OK to continue the Setup program. ..................................................

I did not find that this worked, so I just "Cancel" 'd out and the system restarted in the setup as before "" DO NOT PRESS ANY KEYS "" Wait until Setup does it's work: it gets to the same point, but now, with the registry key changes, it will recognise the CD/DVD ROM drive.

I still need a proper fix tho, I guess u cant access the registry before this error hits??

OK I actually fixed this now. It wasnt having multiple drives. it was somthing to do with the iso image. I think the reason some computers work and some dont is to do with the way the bios controls the cd drive. What I think is the problem is that the iso format cannot store more that 8 sub directories. and the asms folder has 2 folders which are 9...

how i fixed it? well Instead of nero, i used alchohol 120%. Loaded the iso, did the image burning wizard, Randonly I choose "Raw SAO". Burn, put the disc in, didnt even bother to reformat just let windows boot as normal and it got past the error. at this point i was well buzzin cos this s***ter cost be 5 wasted cd's heh!! hope this helps someone out there